Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of days of HARD thinking, I've decided to try a vegan diet for 30 days. I spent this afternoon searching for recipes and ideas for a menu and came up with a 1 week plan so far. Surprisingly enough, I already have many of the ingredients!

I've never been so excited about changing my eating plan before but I am actually looking forward to this. I don't have to worry about calories or consuming animal fats.

I am hypoglycemic. My blood sugar has been unusually high this past 3 months and it's got me very worried. I know it's got everything to do with my diet so something has to give.

When I told my boys about my plans, my ods said, "Well, since you have been struggling with your blood sugar levels for weeks now, it's about #@%* time!"

So, with menu's set up for my family and myself, I am good to go! I plan to start on monday or tuesday of next week. I have to go visit my son this weekend so not sure about how much time it takes for prepping my food. I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks to all who responded to my last thread. You made me think. Really think! I am going to do this and then decide what I want for the rest of my life. Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Wow! That's great! I have always wanted to try it, but the dairy and egg products always get to me, because they are in everything, going without meat is one thing but trying to eliminate all the other stuff is so hard! keep us updated I'm anxious to see how it goes!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
have you considered dairy and eggs? if you are not used to vegetarian diet, vegan is rather extreme. also as a hypoglycemic, i think you will need more protein... worried.

also if you are on glucophage make sure you are taking enough b-complex and b-12 and iron or you will develop a nasty case of pernicious anemia like i did two years ago.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your concern:): It's something to think about and I have considered dairy and eggs. I have a menu plan set up for the week and if I need to, I'll add more protein. I'll keep checking my blood sugar be careful about how I am feeling.

Week 1 is going to be an adjustment but I think my menu accounts for everything and it sure is making my mouth water lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have questions, you can ask. We've been vegan for a while (although this past year we went vegetarian for comfort reasons). It's very possible to get protein as needed. North American diets tend to have more protein in them than is really needed.

Beans, nuts and soy offer a fair amount of protein (see here for details: Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group)

Reactions: KeithBC

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good luck! I will be looking forward to hearing how it is going for you. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good luck!! I will look forward to seeing how you do!! I think I might could go without meat but not sure if I could forgo the Dairy and eggs!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Good luck and you can do it. There is great info you can search for vegan diets.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Good Luck!!
I have always wanted to do it...but I tell you I get to craving BBQ chicken, fried chicken, baked fish...well you know what I mean. :crackup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! My menu is finished and my groceries are put away.

I'm looking forward to the next month :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Will you post your menu here? Please. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 Week Vegan Menu

Here is my menu for week 1 of my new plan. I had an easy time finding vegan items at Super Target and Aikin's.

Please feel free to critique my menu. It's sugar free, dairy free and meat free. I am trying not to use any sugar substitutes, either. The cheese noted is soy cheese. The whole wheat bread is homemade so I know there's no dairy or sugar. The breakfast menu is not very abundant but I am really easy. Most of my mornings are decaf coffee and oatmeal. If I want something different, I'll refer to the menu :)

BREAKFAST

• Oatmeal with Agave Nectar
• WW Toast and Strawberry Preserves
• Fruit Shake with Soy Powder
• Fruit Salad or other Fruit
• Muffin

LUNCH

• Veggie Burger on WW Bun
• Caesar Salad with 'Chicken' Slices
• Tomato, Cucumber, and Basil Salad, Garlic bread topped with Earth Balance vegan buttery spread
• Veggie Lasagna, salad
• Crostini with Sun Dried Tomatoes
• Avocado Dip and WW Tortilla Chips
• Stuffed Potato w/ Fried Onions and Artichokes

SUPPER

• Veggie Lasagna, Caesar Salad
• Alfredo Style Rice Fettuccini, French Bread & Salad
• Veggie Burger w/ roasted potatoes & celery sticks
• ‘Chicken’ Stir Fry, Veggies & Brown Rice
• Baked Italian Eggplant, salad
• Potato Soup, Caesar Salad & French Bread
• Old Bay Tofu ‘Crab’ Cakes, roasted potatoes, salad

SNACKS

Leftovers
Fruit
Oatmeal
Toast

BEVERAGES

Herbal Tea
Water
SF Iced Tea
Decaf Coffee w/ Soy Milk

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Wow, that sounds great!

What recipe are you going to use for the veggie lasagne?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that sounds great!

What recipe are you going to use for the veggie lasagne?
I was thinking this one Vegan Lasagna I - All Recipes

I want to add some shredded zuchinni. I did that to my sons' Hamburger Helper and my yds said it tasted like I added cheese lol Besides, I like zuchinni :D

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Good idea with the zucchini.

C

·
0 Posts
Wow, that all sounds fabulous!!! Now, would you mind coming over and preparing that for me??? LOL

Jackie

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your menus look yummy. Best wishes.

I have been vegan for over 4 years. I did it for the animals so that made it easy for me. I'm far from a poster child for great eating though. I love bread, chips and sweets too much.

C

·
0 Posts
Teresa, I have the same love of carbs. I was told my someone that if you're craving carbs that it is because you're low in B vitamins. I don't know if this is true or not but now I'm trying to focus on that. Can't hurt anyway. As I say this I just finished eating toasted fresh bread with hummus so you can see this will be a lot of work, LOL.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Teresa, I have the same love of carbs. I was told my someone that if you're craving carbs that it is because you're low in B vitamins. I don't know if this is true or not but now I'm trying to focus on that. Can't hurt anyway. As I say this I just finished eating toasted fresh bread with hummus so you can see this will be a lot of work, LOL.
That is interesting about the carbs and lack of B.

But....who can resist hummus! That's some great protein and yummy to boot. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would add in some bean dips and nuts for added protein and to help stabilize blood sugar. Also, does anyone in your family have celiac or IBS or autoimmune issues? If so, you might want to try some gluten free stuff (rice, millet, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts