Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if I got a good deal or not. I just bought 135 pre-cut 4 inch squares for quilting. They are in assorted colors and prints of reds, blues, and purples. It will be a great quilt! But was it a good buy to get all 135 pre-cut for $13.43 and that's with shipping?? And how big of a quilt can I make?? I'm still pretty new at this quilt thing, but I thought that these would make good x-mas gifts!! :feedback:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Without any borders or sashing you would only be able to make a quilt about 30X40 inches. But if you put sashing between the rows and borders you could have a nice throw quilt or maybe even a twin size quilt. I do not think that was a bad price for the squares though. Oh and I was figuring on a 4 inch precut square so that that would be 3.5 finished.

·
8,714 Posts
~It's more than I would pay but that doesn't make it a bad deal. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $5 yard for quilting fabric. You got less than 2 yards. But at least the cutting's done, right?~

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Just a tip when you get your fabric; my mom did this once before, bought pre-cut squares. She thought they were all the same size i.e. 6" sq. for hers, ummm nope they weren't and she didn't pre-measure so had the dickens of a time putting it together.

So check to make sure they are all the same size BEFORE you start sewing.

Oh yeah, and have FUN! :sew:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
For the reason mentioned above, I don't typically buy precut fabric (and cutting fabric is my least favorite part of quilting!

Its not a bad price, but not the best either. Only you can decide if you'd rather spend a few more dollars and have the fabric cut already. Or if you'd like to save the few dollars and cut the fabric yourself. Your time is worth something - you just have to decide what.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I found this one one of the sites maybe it will help: Using 4" sqaures

crib (36X50) 165
Twin (68X88) 520
Full (81X88) 625
Queen (88X96) 728
King (102X96) 840

I love to quilt and have tons of precut 4', 3' and 2" squares

1 - 6 of 6 Posts