Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided this year to have a second hand Christmas. Found some great things, sil 200 dollar pair of aviator sunglasses pd .50 (new never worn in case), dd new XO purse tags on and new pair of skinny jeans, just for those items 2.00. Tons of toys for my grands some in the package some just barely used. Dh 2 golf shirts name brand, tags on for .50. Those are some of the highlights, about 50 gifts spent 25.00 max. Budgeted 230 this includes cash gifts for kids and parents, spent 180.00. Only the Cats are getting new toys lol. All items found at the Bargain Goodwill love that place !!!!!!!!!!!! Clothes are .99 a lb and just about everything else .79 a lb.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Wonderful job! I made A LOT of gifts this year for the women on my list. I just can NEVER think of male gifts to make :(

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Congrats! We've always done secondhand Christmas and hardly anyone cared.

The first year after she left home, one of our daughters informed us secondhand things were no longer good enough for her. We abided by her wishes and bought her a new item from Target, spending the same amount as we spent on the other kids who got secondhand items. The day we opened gifts, the persnickety daughter sat with her one item and a frown on her face looking at her smiling siblings with their haul of like-new secondhand items. The look on her face was priceless. Finally she looked at her gift and said, "Was it expensive?" Well, yeah, in comparison to buying secondhand, it was. She just couldn't seem to make the connection that if you buy everything retail, your money isn't going to go nearly as far and you're not going to get as much. I'm not sure she has figured it out yet.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Thats the only way to fly IMHO. As far as the cats-I just got stuffed pet toys then bought a bag of nip at target ($3,ish) and put it in a gallon bag. It could scent 100 toys. Also the cheaper the toy (like accordian folded paper on a string) the better they like it. One year I taped a craft feather to double length drinking straws and "flew" them. They went Psycho w/ delight. (they are not to be played w/ unattended). I think I may sport for a new scratching post for the cats. $ invested save furniture!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Wonderful job! I made A LOT of gifts this year for the women on my list. I just can NEVER think of male gifts to make :(
I do food for all the men in our family. They rave every time. I can't buy them the things they really like (tools, electronic toys) but I know they don't sit around baking for themselves so I bake and make "men" snacks like beef jerky, chex mix, etc.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Congrats! We've always done secondhand Christmas and hardly anyone cared.

The first year after she left home, one of our daughters informed us secondhand things were no longer good enough for her. We abided by her wishes and bought her a new item from Target, spending the same amount as we spent on the other kids who got secondhand items. The day we opened gifts, the persnickety daughter sat with her one item and a frown on her face looking at her smiling siblings with their haul of like-new secondhand items. The look on her face was priceless. Finally she looked at her gift and said, "Was it expensive?" Well, yeah, in comparison to buying secondhand, it was. She just couldn't seem to make the connection that if you buy everything retail, your money isn't going to go nearly as far and you're not going to get as much. I'm not sure she has figured it out yet.
You handled that so well, SpiritDeer, I am so impressed. I would have thrown a private temper tantrum at that sort of a request, heck maybe not even a private one about how something isn't good enough etc. but instead you let her see for herself the difference in her choice.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest surprise to me is how wasteful people are perfectly good items donated, I wonder why anyone buys anything new except underwear, although I did find buy some still in the pack and 2 new bras. There is enough kids clothes, shoes and toys to supply any kid.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not crafty at all here, my cats love da bird, and the fish with feathers. I just need to buy some feathers and a string lol.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think I would prefer to have a fully secondhand Christmas. In fact, one of the things I would LOVE the MOST would be a gift card to any or all of the thrift stores in the area!!

My kids are perfectly fine with our CL shopping (in fact the DS13 last year used his Christmas money on CL rather than buying new), though, so that helps with the bigger ticket items. Last year, oldest DS got a rolling tool chest my Mister found on CL for far less than half price, excellent condition. This year DS19 requested a papasan chair for his room for gaming (can run $150+ brand new), I found one on CL for $50, paid $40, I am sure he will be happy when he gets that plus the upper section tool chest his Dad is trying to find him on CL, too. Our budget is only $150 for each of our kids so we do our best to find the bigger-ticket stuff gently pre-used.

Now I guess the acceptable word on the block these days is: Upcycling!! if you take used items and re-invent them into something else. If only there would be an acceptable word for second hand shopping and gifting ?!? And if only people who want stuff would have a not-so-specific list of demands!! I hate it when I see a list that says "Brand X sweatshirt" or "Jim Shore snowman" - on the other hand, I LOVE IT when I get someone's name in an exchange and they just say "I collect snowmen" or "gold earrings, silver necklace" so that I can be creative about my shopping or crafting!!

You are so right, there are so many new-with-tags and new and practically-new-with-boxes things I see at the thrift stores that it is amazing to think how much has been wasted. Sometimes I just imagine a bag of $5, $10 and $20 bills getting dropped off as donation.... anyone think that happens?? It's not really that much different when boxes/bags of never-used items gets donated. KWIM?

·
Registered
682 Posts
What a great idea!
I always tell DH that you never know what you might find at Goodwill.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We love Goodwill Outlet. There's one near where dh works. He goes at least once a week checking for things that are on our list of needs. Ours charges .79/lb for regular items, .39/lb for books and larger items are priced individually. Last weekend I found a good condition bike for ds for $5.00 and a working toaster oven for $2.00.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Alot just depends on timing. 2 night ago it started snowing when I was at S.A. and bikes went on for $6. I frantically tried to think of someone to gift a bike.
Some nights it seems all junk and sometimes I don't have a big enough cart.
and far as a name we have always said the S.A. Boutique. Some of DD's friends started begging to go w/ her. Their folks had money but I know DD had 3x as many clothes and I allowed her to redesign them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I LOVE Goodwill shopping. I went to one today and racked up. Last week I was at one in another town. I'd much rather buy clothes at Goodwill than to buy new. New blouses seem to be thinner, shorter, and lower in the neckline.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Just an FYI to everyone. After the holiday season by approx 2 weeks you will find lots of tagged gifts people donated they were unable or didn't want to bother returning. I caught an awesome early bird special (50% off) w/ new stuff last yr.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great finds!! I LoVE Goodwill but we don't have the Goodwill outlet here. Wish we did with prices like that! :yikes:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I looked it up online and there are very few Goodwill Outlets, like maybe half a dozen in the whole country and one in Canada. So if you live near one you're lucky!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts