Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Goodwill and picked up a Lands End wool pea coat for $5. I checked their website and it retails for $190. Woot. Oh happy day!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Oh.....those are beautiful coats. Congratulations, that is a fantastic buy.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
oh, that is a good score. Pea coats are classics as are wool coats.

What color is it?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cashier even commented on it being an awesome coat and deal. LOL

The lady ahead of me in line had a large framed art piece. It was pouring rain, so I offered to have her pull up to the front of the store and back her car in a bit so the trunk was under the awning part of the building where it was dry and I'd put it in her trunk for her, so it didn't get ruined.

We were both a little too excited over our buys for the day. LOL

I came home and was like Gabe, LOOK at what I found! It's just absolutely beautiful and in perfect shape. It's not brand new, but darn close.

What was most exciting is that it's a perfect fit. I'm tall and short waisted and many coats don't hang well on me. I have problems finding a good fit on arm length too. I went coat shopping last winter and was upset by not only the cost, but I couldn't find anything that I really liked, so just didn't buy anything at all. I've been wearing my fall coat through winter for 10 years. Let's just say I was much thinner 10 years ago. LOL

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, that is a good score. Pea coats are classics as are wool coats.

What color is it?
It's black.
I'm going to see how much it costs to be dry cleaned. It's not dirty by sight, but with it being secondhand, I prefer to have it cleaned before I wear it.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Awesome deal! I love those coats!

You are so lucky to have it fit so good. I also think I would have it cleaned, Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
wow great find !! when i sold on ebay i would use that home drycleaning kit for dryclean only items that i needed to clean first ( vintage etc ) i think they did great

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
679 Posts
great deal. i love goodwill. i got the dress i am going to wear this weekend to a wedding for $5. and also my "new" winter coat for $5.
also just wanted to add - my goodwill has bogo on the last day of the month. you might want to check yours. don't know if this is everywhere or is different for individual stores.
every so often i get real lucky at my store and find a bunch of nice christopher & banks tops. those are my big deal days!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow great find !! when i sold on ebay i would use that home drycleaning kit for dryclean only items that i needed to clean first ( vintage etc ) i think they did great
Any idea how much Dryel or similar cost? I've never bought it before. But it sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great find Sara!! I love those coats! I think the Dryel kit is around $10 .... Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Oh my gosh love these Dryel kits, I have vintage wool coats etc I have used them on. My new dry cleaner has something that makes me break out so I use these. Love them. I got tons free with a drugstore deal years ago not sure what they run now but will have to get more.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll definitely look into it with such positive reviews. It really only needs to be freshened up, so this sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What a deal. The coats at the Goodwill I go to have high prices on them especially if its a name brand. They have them priced where they won't go on the weekly sale too. Can almost and in some cases can buy new for cheaper.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to Salvation Army today. I was happy to hit the kids clothing sale. All clothing (including jackets/coats--I bought one each for my girls) was $.49. I spent $24. Yikes! But I bought books and shoes (brand new for my daughter) and not just clothes, too. Still I'm pretty pleased. I hadn't gone thrift store shopping in a while. I find it extremely addicting, so I really tend to go in spurts like once a week for a month or so when looking for something specific and then not at all for close to a year.

I love paying less and it makes it very very hard to buy retail. I really like the quiet time ALONE, too. I could spend hours just poking around. There have been times, I've gone for three hours. Our house is pretty loud most of the time and I crave quiet so badly sometimes. I used to go to the library, but don't go much anymore for myself (only the kiddos) because I found that I was borrowing way too many books that I certainly don't have any time to read. LOL I really love this one used bookstore, but I find it very hard to buy there because the thrift stores sell books for far less.

Our SA has punch cards. Not sure if that's everywhere. Basically after every ten visits that you spend at least $10 (they stamp your card), you get $10 toward a purchase there. In other words, spend $100 over time and get $10 off. I wish it worked where f you spent $20 in one day, you got two stamps, but it's only one stamp per $10 and over purchase, per visit and I'd feel a bit ridiculous spending $10, leaving, going back and spending $10 just to get an extra stamp on the card.

Is it bad that I'm thinking about going back? LOL Not for the punch card. LOL But because $.49 clothes is very tempting. With 4 kids, it really helps our budget to save that much on very nice clothing. I didn't have much time (my son was getting home from preschool) to see if there was anything for the boys. We didn't do back to school clothes shopping before school started because the kids didn't really need anything yet, but with the cold weather coming, the boys could use some more long sleeved shirts. I like to go through the hoodies, too. Some are in such great shape and as you know they can get pretty costly when bought retail.

I've rambled enough. But I love love love secondhand shopping. I used to shop to resell and miss it terribly (would do it again if I had more time), so it's really nice to go when purchases benefit our family.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow !! I'm jealous !! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts