Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried this yesterday, and it worked:

Mix the following ingredients together in an open jar or other container (the quantities are relative to how many flies you're trying to get rid of):

1/2 qt water (2 c)
2 T sugar
2 T (white) vinegar
a couple drops of liquid dishsoap
Leave the mixture sitting out in the infested area, as long as needed.

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~elgersma/fruitflies.html

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks Michelle, I just made several bowls of this and have them set out around my house. The fruit flies are overtaking me here. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Thanks Chelle, I'll be making some up in the morning! :D

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:bump: I've got them again...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Thanks for bumping this up! I get these pests all the time and it drives me crazy!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tried this few weeks ago and it does work !! Thanks for posting

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
thanks Michelle, from here in Kamloops where I"ve got a nasty little cloud of them infesting my kitchen.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another tip: set out a glass of wine overnight. No more fruit flies in the morning :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
could we sticky this? It is a great tip!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I made a funnel out of paper and taped it to the top of the jar. I used apple cider vinegar and caught lots of fruit flies over 2 days. They'd go down the funnel to get at the vinegar and then could not get back out because I taped the funnel to the jar and made the hole extra small. Eventually they fall in the cider and drown.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:bowing: Thank you for the advice. I've been going mad with those little critters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

Thanks so much for this tip (vinegar mixture) - It worked like a charm! We only have a few stragglers left now, but we're almost fruit fly-free! YAY!!! :smball:

Have a great day!

KimmieSC :pig:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:bump: guess who's back....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thank you for this recipe, we are going buggy here too!!! When my hands are wet at the kitchen sink I will catch the fruit flies as they fly by. They stick to my wet hands and down the drain I rinse them. I can't do this all day though and they keep multiplying.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Thanks for bumping this up. We don't have any at the moment, but a week ago we had a bunch. Next time, I'll try your solution.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you, ours are getting bigger. I think they have found quite the buffet!! I'm trying this now. I just told DH "see what a great site FV is?" lol. Thx.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, since fresh fruits and veggies got so expensive, I don't have many fruit flies, but I'll keep that recipe just in case...thanks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.