1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Frightening for those families that are full-time and dependent on the pay.

Might be a good time to do some stockpiling of essentials for those families that can swing it.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
It hasn't been that long ago, a year maybe? that something like that happened here. All the nurses at the veteran's hospital, the police officers and some other state workers were required to show up for work but receive no pay until they sorted out things. None of the banks here would give loans to them because they did not trust the government to replace the back pay. A local credit union stepped up and gave everyone who wanted one a loan to float them. That said, it was a local credit union that helped, there may not be that option for others if what was written in the article should come to pass. I think McD is right about having a stockpile. It sure couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
that stinks. I'm just glad that we moved into base housing. It would have really hurt if we would have had to come up with rent and utilities ourselves- the dollar rate to Euro is getting bad.

I'll probably stock up on diapers and basics at the commissary in case the commissary workers don't show up till they get paid.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That is just awful :nerv2:.........I hope that everybody has at least a little bit of an emergency fund to tide them over.........

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
My son and daughter are both in military and both medical so this would definitely affect their house.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I work for the Feds and ever since there was talk about shutting down I have been scaling back big time. I've made sure we have a good stockpile and we are saving every penny to make sure we can afford our mortgage and other commitments. It's not only tough on the pocket but tough on morale too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We were going to use our tax return to pay off some debt, but we're keeping it in savings until we see what happens with pay. DH is reenlisting on the 22nd and getting a bonus- I hope it hits the bank before the 1st.

News is that if there is a shutdown and the commissary workers don't work, the military will augment with military to make sure the military community can still get groceries. Thank goodness I won't have to worry about paying Euros for groceries.

I have a bit of a food stockpile so if there is a shutdown, I'll try to help out our friends or whoever needs help.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess this still hasn't been resolved yet. I dunno. I'm very concerned about what's going to happen to our families. I mean, they should have savings, but realistically, I know a lot of them are going to be seriously messed up.

http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2011/03/12/update-to-government-shutdown-plans/
Update 3/14/2011: Apparently last’s week anticipated agreement to an additional continuing resolution may have been a bit premature. It seems possible that a continuing resolution will not be passed. I’m not exactly sure how to word it so that I can be adequately vague, but it is anyone’s guess at this point.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HJ 48 has passed the house. It is expected to pass in the Senate as well. We have funding till the 18th, that means they have until Friday to get it voted on and signed. I'm trying to find out if the Senate voted on it today but no one's saying. I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Reactions: Lindsey

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obama Signs Into Law Bill To Fund The Government For 3 Weeks

Obama has signed it. I guess we're getting paid at the end of the month.

The thing is, we have been operating on emergency measures since Oct, the beginning of the fiscal year. Both parties have reportedly said that they will sign no more emergency measures. I think that means that if they don't work out in 3 weeks what they've failed to manage in the last 6 months, we are going to be looking at a shutdown.

So, I'm going to be extra careful with the next couple paychecks, just in case.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nishu- thanks for posting that. That's the first I heard about Obama giving us another 3 weeks. I'm so thankful that we'll be getting that paycheck and Dh's re-enlistment bonus. Hopefully they get the budget sorted.

I'm concerned about the deployed troops. If they're worried about getting paid and if their family back home will have money, they aren't able to focus on their mission and can lead to getting hurt :(

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, all Obama did was sign it. It was drafted by a Republican from Kentucky and both the House and Senate had to pass it.

And your'e welcome. I'm concerned as well. =/

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for posting the updates!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I really wish they'd get their act together on Capitol Hill. My daughter's very worried about whether or not she'll get paid on April 1st...she's in the reserves. It would also affect my son and his family, they're active duty, and the hubby and I wouldn't get our retirement pay.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really wish they'd get their act together on Capitol Hill. My daughter's very worried about whether or not she'll get paid on April 1st...she's in the reserves. It would also affect my son and his family, they're active duty, and the hubby and I wouldn't get our retirement pay.
We are definitely getting paid on the first! But like I said, they have 3 weeks to get together a permanent budget to avoid a shut down. I think it's possible that within the next month or two we'll see delayed pay.

Reactions: Vanilla
1 - 20 of 48 Posts