Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandma always had this one soup pot on the stove. If it wasnt ate for the meal be it breakfast lunch or dinner, it went in that soup pot. Everything. I am sure there were some things like fried chicken or whatever that went in the refrigerator. I wouldnt know we were never allowed in there. If it wasnt on the table during the meal with grandma the only thing offered was a goard of water at the sink.
But if you didnt eat your cereal and some milk was left. . it went in the pot. I guess since the wood fire would die down it wasnt always being simmered or boiled. but if we showed up unannounced, soup pot dinner it was.. Those were some of the best meals. I dont know if it would work today but i would try it if i could.

·
27,948 Posts
I'm looking forward to the colder weather Denny, I don't think I'd have a pot simmering as much as your dear grandmother but I think my family is glad when I do simmer whatever. You have a family recipe to share?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Hhhmmm, never heard of the soup pot simmer....I've heard of and have done as well, the soup bucket in the fridge or freezer for leftover bits and pieces. I'm sure it was good eats that your Granny cooked up. Very frugal woman, I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soup pot

Well, i didnt live with grandma so maybe it was a soup pot thing that she just pulled out when she fiqured we might be on the way or she had a bunch of leftovers to put in, it just seems like it was always there to me. I also remember government meat she got in a big round tin can. We would get slices and she would heat em in a frying pan and make us sandwiches. Yummy. and i remember cutting a big fat piece of the cheese off to chew on. good memories. even my first chicken without a head running.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My mom remembers her grandma always having a pot on the stove like that, too. Mom laughs and guesses there were probably bits of 20yr old potatoes lurking in that pot. ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My granny did that with soup and with the everlasting bean pot. There were always brown beans in a pot in the fridge.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My mom remembers her grandma always having a pot on the stove like that, too. Mom laughs and guesses there were probably bits of 20yr old potatoes lurking in that pot. ;)

20 yr old potatoes lurking.....that's interesting and funny too!! My grandma always had cookies but we were never allowed the fresh ones.... we had to eat the old ones first. But they were always good!!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am fastidious when it comes to food safety. That is one reason we seldom eat in restaurants. I have worked in many food service establishments over the years. Most of those cases of stomach distress that many attribute to the "flu" are really food poisoning.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
My grandmother was pretty frugal also. I remember her freezing left over roast beef. She could make the best potpie with it. Yumm.

Thanks for bringing back memories.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My grandma always had brown beans cooking. I think they ate them every day. I bet that house still smells like brown beans....and farts. hehehehe sorry, it's the mind of a 12 year old boy sometimes. :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My dad used to tell how Grandma had a simmering pot on the stove like that. I tried it, but it kinda grossed me out after about a week, so I quit. The thought of something being in there for months was just too much.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My simmering pot never lasts that long. The stew today will be gone tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts