Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandparents' 50th is coming up in one month. My mom is an only child and my sisters and I are helping her put together an open house/reception for them plus a memory album. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas (frugal/simple of course!) for an occasion like this. I really want this to be special for them so TIA for your help! :)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Do any of you decorate cakes? If so you could save a bundle by making the cake yourself and not ordering one.

What about if you do a brunch type reception. (Ya know older people usually like morning events better;) ) You could serve some coffee cakes, coffees, punch, fruit.....that shouldn't be too expensive and fairly easy to put on.

I'd look into borrowing anything you can for the table, such as the table cloths (as opposed to buying them), candleabra's if you're going that formal.

Also, there is a lady here in my town that collects those glass buffett serving sets that are used at showers, etc. . I buy them when I see them at garage sales for nominal prices and donate to her. Therefore I have the greenlight to use them for any occaission that I'd like. If there is someone near you that has those, they make lovely serving dishes.

Candles are cheap decor. Plants are cheap decor, do any of you or your mom or sisters have some nice plants to use, either indoor or outdoor ones will do.

Will you be sending out invitations? If so you can print some really nice ones on rather plain paper on your computer. IF you make them on card stock you can make them the size of postcards and save about .16 postage as opposed to letter size.

It's a wonderful thing to celebrate, hope you get lots of great ideas from the ladies here.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
When my parents had their 40th, we tracked down their one bridesmaid. She lived in the same city but they'd lost touch over the years. She was happy to be invited and all we had to do was to drive her to the party and back home again. My parents were really thrilled that she came.

Is there anyone from their wedding that they haven't seen for ages?

Also, how about researching the music that was popular when they married and have some of it playing at the party.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Have they renewed their vows? My aunt and uncle did that to celebrate their 50th. Think about scanning all their family pics onto a dvd, use their favorite songs as background and play it throughout the party-takes time but very little money. ---Kellie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts