Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I finally saw a pattern book in Hobby Lobby that I'd seen listed on Amazon and could finally really look at it. I didn't have to look long. I had a coupon in hand and it came home with me. It's 50 Fabulous Crochet Squares by Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss, published in 2009.

Fabulous is right. These are some gorgeous squares, and many of them look quite easy to make. I haven't tried any yet, because I have other things started, but I can't wait to dip into it. If you see it in a rack somewhere, check it out. It makes my other block pattern books look like they're going to be collecting a lot of dust. I love this book!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks dc.........it is a neat book.

JA's has that book. I have it.

So anyone with a coupon can get it --(when it isn't already on sale), for 40% off........go for it.

It does have some beautiful stuff in it.

A SIDENOTE.......don't forget when you are shopping for books to look at Barnes and Noble website.......and go to the used books when you click on a book. It will tell you if there are any used books for that item. I did this a month or so ago and got a book that B & N carried, from a used book source that they 'list', and got the same book...just like new.....for 50% off or more. Shipping was VERY reasonable too and had it in about a week.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks--I'll check it out. Always needing books !!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, FF. I usually check the used listings at Amazon, but never think to look at B&N. I'm thinking I may try "Autumn Leaves" first, with three colors instead of two. I have a lot of blue in various shades to use up. The "Hot Pepper" has an interesting texture too.

So many patterns, so much yarn, and so little time!

·
19,119 Posts
Am definitely going to put this book on my wish list!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of all your creations Donna!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Feel free - I'll help all I can. If I get to see pictures!
Reviewed the book again, yesterday, after being on here. It IS prety neat. I drool over that rainbow one.....but don't have all the colors (or that many diff. colors) of yarn.

I will be very glad to post pics if I ever get something that looks decent when done..........hasn't happened yet!

I am still looking for a class or 'group' which would really help me. Know the stitches and can 'read' (loosely) the pattern......it is just APPLYING the pattern on how/where to put the stitch........need some assistance there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just finished reading through The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman. It had, if I recall, some good diagrams about exactly that. Sort of: if the pattern says x, this is the place where the hook has to be placed on the stitch (or row) below. If your library can get it, it might be helpful. A group would be good though so someone could just show you.

I'm making an afghan for a gift. When I brought her this book to look at for a pattern last night, the one she liked best was "Earth Tones" - which I think is the one completely uninspired pattern in the book. Sigh.

I'm going to start the Autumn Leaves pattern with three shades of turquoise.

The rainbow one is pretty. I do have the colors. I was thinking of replacing the violet with black for the outside row, and reversing the colors blue to red on alternate squares.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I just finished reading through The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman. It had, if I recall, some good diagrams about exactly that. Sort of: if the pattern says x, this is the place where the hook has to be placed on the stitch (or row) below. If your library can get it, it might be helpful. A group would be good though so someone could just show you.
I think the C. Answer Book is one that someone rec. to me. I will check again with my library......going to a book sale tomorrow at it.

I have the Crochet Bible and Crochet Basics. What happened (being a 'book nut') is that I checked out a bunch from the library and THEN decided that I WANTED THEM for my own. soo.....some online shopping was done! I had better learn to crochet so I can use the books!!

Yes, I am hoping for a group........that would REALLY help I know. Haven't put anything on CL yet but thinking about it......not sure where we could meet and I don't want a bunch of strangers in my house.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe an off the wall idea - you might call retirement/nursing homes etc, to see if the staff knows of anyone there who might be able and willing to help you - they would probably enjoy the company. Or call churches and see if they have senior groups you could check with. The world is probably full of older people (I'm one of them) who crochet and wouldn't mind giving you a hand if you could just find them.

Does your library have meeting rooms? That would be a good place for a group to meet. Or meet first at a fast food place - everyone gets a cup of coffee or a Coke and brainstorms on places to meet.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'm making an afghan for a gift. When I brought her this book to look at for a pattern last night, the one she liked best was "Earth Tones" - which I think is the one completely uninspired pattern in the book. Sigh.

I'm going to start the Autumn Leaves pattern with three shades of turquoise.
Just realized that book has no index for names.....ARGH!! But found the Earth Tones........I think if you picked the right colors it would be pretty though. They just didn't show it in great colors. I thought the same thing when I looked at Winter Rose but then thought that it would look really pretty worked in a red/black/white combination. I like the Autumn Leaves one too. Oh heck...I like them all!

Maybe an off the wall idea - you might call retirement/nursing homes etc, to see if the staff knows of anyone there who might be able and willing to help you - they would probably enjoy the company.
No DC........that is a fantastic idea! THANK YOU!! Don't know why I didn't think of it. I visit a lady in a nursing home that has an assisted living facility beside it. I could check there....and you are right. They would love the company and I bet someone crochets! (I have even met some of the people when we have 'coffee and cookies' there!) :tay: Oh I hope we are right.....this could be GREAT.....and it is only about a mile from my house. Now you have just made my day........I hope this works out!! The only other place I haven't checked......and have been meaning to....is the Sr. Center. But I did go online and check their activities and saw nothing....but that isn't very close to my house, though very doable if I found someone that crochets. This other would be PERFECT.

Great suggestion..........and THANK YOU!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Winter Rose is one that attracted me too. At first I didn't like the gray, but it has grown on me. I'm thinking it might be nice of a lavender background.

I hope you find someone to help you.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I hope you find someone to help you.
I posted something about this in another thread.....might have found something. I go Monday at 1......it is a knitting group but the gal at the library book sale told me that she (the gal that sort of leads it!) was really knowledgeable about crochet too and might help me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw it in the other thread. I'm sure she'll be willing to help. If not - two thumbs down and perpetual rain on any and every parade she's in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts