Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not sure I''m posting this at the right place.... could a mod correct my mistake if needed?

Anyways... this is more of a "I'm sooo proud of myself" post.

Sunday we had a party for which I made a big pitcher of white sangria. In it, I added slices of orange, lemon and lime as well as a can of pineapple chunks.

The drink was great and everyone enjoyed it, but I was left with sangria-steeped fruit (not the ones that went in the glasses but the slices that remained in the pitcher).

I thought it was a shame to throw them out and wondered what to do of them.
Then, it hit me: Marmalade!

I looked up different recipes on the web and sorted of wigned my version.

I chopped up the fruit, making sure the rind pieces were tiny, then measured the fruit, which came out to 3 cups.

I dumped the last of the sangria in a saucepan and brought it to a boil. I added 3 cups of sugar to it and boiled it a little longer.

Finally I added my chopped fruit and boiled the whole thing for about 60-90 minutes.

It turned out Great!!! The marmalade gelled, and it tastes like jujubes with a sharp bite when you get a piece of rind!

I'm so proud of my creative little self. Before, I would have chucked the fruit and not think of it!
Now I have similar fruit steeping in iced tea... guess what I'll be making next!.

Anyways, I need to share this with someone because I'm so excited and hubby seems to think my excitement is a little weird :)

The whole thing got me thinking though... what would be other suggestions to use up l-o fruit like that?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
WTG!! That marmalade sounds awesome and super delish! I'd prob have snacked on the fruit for dessert nightly til it was gone *hick* ;)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
What a great idea! :clap:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts