Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is!

The shed is 5'x10'. We had started the work a couple of weeks back, but halted in order to attend to the fence which was starting to bulge/fall into the neighbors yard (stupid raised garden bed).

We ended up hiring a landscaper to fix the fence and lay down the gravel and 6x6 foundation beams. I'd already built the base of the shed so he used that to figure out how high to lay the beams.

Last weekend we built two of the walls, then the weather got too bad to finish.

This weekend we had my nephew over to help on Sat, and we got everything but the door, front siding and roof. Yesterday Ceashels and I installed the roof, door and some of the siding, and today I added the door trim, hardware, and finished off the siding.

FINALLY - a proper shed!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the garden box in front of the shed will be removed next spring, and we'll be putting in 12" high, 4'x8' raised garden beds along the fence line. We'll be leaving enough space between the fence and the beds to mow. The box you see there now, the ONLY thing supporting the dirt behind it is the fence, if you believe it. Idiot previous owner thought that was enough...thats why we needed a landscaper to fix the fence. :/

·
19,119 Posts
Shed looks great - inside and out!! Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nice Job will we be seeing you On DIY

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Looks very nice.....congrats on finishing it!

Question for you.....how far away from your neighbors house is it? Are you allowed to build within....how many feet....of the next house?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Looks good, Love the siding on it! Too bad you werent closer, I could fill it up for you!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks very nice.....congrats on finishing it!

Question for you.....how far away from your neighbors house is it? Are you allowed to build within....how many feet....of the next house?
Hmm. Dunno. The neighbors didn't care though - the guys on that side are very cool. I suppose the county might object at some point - that'll suck - but for now, the shed is done :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It's a nice job but my neighbors would be pi-ssy about it. I would get a declaration signed by the neighbor saying he didn't mind just for security sake. As far as the township goes, we couldn't have a shed because it had to bew 12' from any structure, couldn't be under a powerline, had to have a rat wall,etc. Is it at least moveable?? The county has to wave variance for a structure like that escpecially seeing it blocks access. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I would get a declaration signed by the neighbor saying he didn't mind just for security sake. Good luck.
Think I might me tempted to do the same FW.....then when the neighbor sold his house, (if and when) this might give you a 'grandfather in' type thing.

We can't have any structure closer than 10' (think it is) to the property line. They started this a few years ago, since I lived here, so I grandfathered in.........our county can be real pi*** about it too......especially if a neighbor starts the action. But you can have WRECKED CARS parked right on the property line and that is okay.......they don't enforce THAT LAW!! God forbid should they have to do SOME WORK!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That looks great. Congrats on your hard work paying off. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
It came out really nice!

Must have been difficult to assemble in that small space....

From looking that the first pic, it appear that with the pitch of the shed roof, and your neighbors gutter "releasing" the rain in the same spot, and their property not that far away, it may cause some issues with the basement (if they have one); when it rains.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice job, Greebo and Ceashels!

I like the siding also. I think you did a
good enough job that I might let you
build my chicken coop for me....lol

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That shed is sooo cute! Great job :clap:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Must have been difficult to assemble in that small space....

From looking that the first pic, it appear that with the pitch of the shed roof, and your neighbors gutter "releasing" the rain in the same spot, and their property not that far away, it may cause some issues with the basement (if they have one); when it rains.....
The angles of the shot make the neighbor's house look closer than it is.

A bit on assembly: We did the long walls first and assembled them fully sided. The rear short wall we left bare and then removed the fence panel behind the shed to get to the wall so we could put the siding into the channels from the long walls. Perfect!

As for water runoff - any water that lands in that area was going to go right into the neighbors drive anyway, it always has. The ground there is actually on a decent slope away from our house. The gravel on top of it will stop the water from hitting soil and washing it away, which used to be a problem in that spot.

And yeah - no permit. If they want me to move it, I can. The entire structure sits on a pair of 2x6 runners 10' long. Until then - like I said, the neighbors on that side don't mind, and the utilities come down on the far side of the fence - so the blockage for lines is no greater now than it was before.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the siding also. I think you did a
good enough job that I might let you
build my chicken coop for me....lol
Yeah, good luck with that! LOL

1 - 20 of 46 Posts