Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big bag of green beans frozen from the garden and a nice chunk of left over ham. I think I had heard that you can cook up a pot of green beans and ham with some seasonings and it turns out good. Anyone have the recipe or know how to do this?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
My mom always used to take green beans, potatoes, bacon (you can use ham) and throw water over it, with some black pepper and cooked it on top of the stove and it turned out great.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will give it a try!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I use this recipe all of the time:

Put water in a pan, add chicken boulion cubes to it, bring to a boil, continue to boil until dissolved. Add beans and your ham ( or bacon) I like ham, add chopped onion, or (dried onions), lots of pepper simmer for several hours. Taste to see if it needs more salt, usually it doesn't because the bouillion makes it salty and the ham too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Put your beans in a pan that will allow you to put a double amount of water (double the height of the beans in the pan). Add some butter, salt, pepper, and the ham. Bring the beans to a rolling boil, then lower down to a simmer. Let the beans cook (continue to add salt and pepper to taste) until the green beans are really soft (they'll look kind of wrinkly) and the water is boiled out.
They will be deliciously southern!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts