Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tried and true Green Chile Chicken Soup recipe they'd care to share? I've found some online but wonder how good they really are. I'm looking for the clear broth kind, not the creamy type - and hopefully its basic enough with minimal ingredients if possible.

TIA :wave:

PS: Is it just a clear chicken broth/stock with diced tomatoes, rice and chicken and a bit of green chiles?

·
19,119 Posts
Let me think - I use Chicken broth, chpped tomatoes with chiles, peppers, chopped chicken, salsa verde, cumin, shredding jack cheese and tortilla strips. Think that's all - will check my recipes when I find them!!

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but:

Green Chiles
Diced tomatoes
cooked, shredded (or diced) chicken
garlic
vegetable/chicken stock
salt/pepper

I don't know the amounts of each, but it's mostly green chiles. I typically buy 4 bushels of green chiles each year. If you do like the recipe, and need the amounts, I could make a batch this weekend and record for you.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrmm....well today I'm going to wing it - as in make hm chicken stock, shred the meat off the chicken thighs, add freshly diced veggies, can of diced tomatoes and a tiny tin of chopped green chiles. I have the limes & cilantro on hand, just need an avocado! :)

Cheese & tortilla chips are optional.

I hope this works out similar to what I am looking for. A gf and I went to Chili's on Friday and I had this soup for lunch and would love to have it again - especially if its easy to make :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is the one i use and taste just like it..

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced (I used a jar of roasted garlic, it was phenomenal!)

80 oz chicken broth, 2 1/2 cartons of the 32 oz

10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild

7 oz can diced green chilies

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts; cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

2 1/2 Cups cooked rice of choice, I used basmati

1/4 Cup fresh lime juice

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste

1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

Fresh diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Tortilla chips

1. Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomtoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking. Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

2. Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese and crushed chips if desired. If you can handle the heat, squeeze some Siracha over top, yum!!

10-12 servings

·
19,119 Posts
Sounds great and perfect for the summer - have not made it in a while DH is off island for 10 days, so I can make a batch and have ready to eat meals!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts