Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an article that seems silly, but really struck a cord w/me. The section titled "A Blow-Out Basement" hits home.

examples-of-bad-charging: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I have a family member that could be in this situation very soon. The remodel was only the first step. Their situation is a little different (saver/spender type relationship). The spender is now on their own & has no qualms about living it up. Its hard to watch the savings & investments slip away. Grief isn't the only factor as this person is a spender at heart, but I can't understand how they can throw their spouse's thrift out the window with no regard for the adult children, who will be left to clean up the mess. Its heartbreaking to watch.

Advice? Stories to share?

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have posted this in the wrong area or have come across as judgemental. There is a lot more to this situation, but its pretty clear to those around us how these decisions will play out. It sad to see those you love make bad decisions that will hurt themselves & their family. Guess there are somethings that we no control over.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't have any personal stories regarding that specific section, but there were others that hit home with ME.

I refuse to have a credit card, but I've often blown an entire month's living wages on one shopping trip or night out. I don't house the homeless in hotels, but I have made large contributions to my favorite charities, or bought dog food/cat food donations for my local shelter before buying food to feed myself.

My mom, on the other hand...I guess she could fall under that category. She was deeply depressed after my grandmother passed away, and spent her portion of the inheritance on clothes and jewelry.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm not sure there is anything you can do to help. Everyone handles grief in their own way, but as you stated, this seems likely headed down the road to self destruction.

Maybe this person is open to a grief workshop? If there are others to share their stories of grief, to have a shoulder, some good advice and some company, maybe this person would be less inclined to spend to salve their wounds. Or perhaps this person would be open to attending church services, Bibles studies, church singles groups with you or friends. Life need to have purpose, without purpose we tend to veer off track.

Reactions: JanieD

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
My Mom spent a huge amount on clothes after my dad died. Part of it was shopping kept her busy and made her happy. Another part of it was she lost so much weight so rapidly.

I'm glad I'm not spending like crazy or anything after my brothers recent death. I'm trying to catch up! After the time off work for both of us, travel, new suits for the kids, a new dress since mine didn't fit, all the extra phone calls, flowers etc it cost us $1500!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts