Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what cut of beef do I get if I want to start grinding my own beef for burgers?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Chuck, if you want flavorful, juicy burgers. Sirloin is good, too.

·
4,028 Posts
I like using chuck for burgers it seems to have a nice ratio of fat and meat for burgers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
the cheapest cuts. You can trim the fat to your liking. We have our own beef butchered, cut it up ourselves, then take what we don't save out as steaks, etc, back to the butcher to grind for hamburg.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.....thank you. So when I get chuck roast on sale, I can get
extra and grind it myself. Thank you for your advice!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cheapest cuts. You can trim the fat to your liking. We have our own beef butchered, cut it up ourselves, then take what we don't save out as steaks, etc, back to the butcher to grind for hamburg.
I hope to go in half with someone near me and get a cow butchered.
I hope to do the same as you one day. :)

·
8,714 Posts
~I buy top or bottom "round" roasts for ground. They're usually very lean to begin with but I trim even more and that's the way I like my burgers. They will still be plenty juicy if you don't overcook them.~

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
top round is on sale at my local store. Dont have to worry about pink slime if you grind it yourself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I buy what ever is on sale or marked down. I prefer it lean. Winn Dixie frequently has london broil cuts BOGO. It comes to $2.60 a pound. Ever since I started grinding my own, I can really tell the difference from the pink slime stuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts