Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has pan she claims bought new a few years ago. We never used it but would like to do so.
It has a sticky finish witch suggest it's seasoned, but I'm dubious. For instance, did Griswold sell
seasoned items and are they still in business?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I believe Griswold is out of business. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_Manufacturing

If the finish is black, sticky and looks tarry then it is seasoned. Couldn't tell you if it came that way or not. If you want to cook in it I suggest a simple scrub with hot water, soap and a plastic scrubbie to remove any residual dust or food particles. Dry with a paper towel and then wipe on a light coat of oil or grease and you are ready to go.

Reactions: Lonewolf

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Griswold is out of business and now its products are highly collectible.

Nobody sold seasoned cast iron till Lodge started to about 10 or 15 yrs ago. Before that, new cast iron came with a coating of edible wax to prevent rust, and needed to be scrubbed and seasoned before use.

If scrubbing doesn't get rid of the sticky uckiness, strip the old seasoning by running the piece through the self cleaning cycle on a stove oven or using electrolysis. Reseason immediately.

Congrats on the nice find!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts