Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in country and don't have very many stories to choose from but every week it seem as if the prices go up more Is any one else seeing that or is it just me?Walking thought two stories and buying a few things yesterday i was thinking how in the world is people with family and on fixed income going to keep buying food.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish we had a Aldi close the only one i know of in Ar.is at least 100 miles or more.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ilc i guess i lied to you i goodle alta and there is not one in Ar. was one at Springdale at one time.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ilc i guess i lied to you i goodle alta and there is not one in Ar. was one at Springdale at one time.
They are still showing one in Springdale and also in Siloam Springs and Rogers.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Where I shop, produce and meats haven't changed in price for years now. Still around .45/lb for produce, varying with what's in season, and $1.45/lb for skinless/boneless chicken thighs/breasts. Beef has fluctuated a bit, but I still get my 1/4 cow at about $3.50/lb from a butcher. Milk has gone up .10/gal in the last year, but the previous price was in place for half a decade or so.

I have noticed things like chips and snacks have gone up per unit price, however we tend to avoid those except for special occasions. Deli meat has increased in price, as well as coffee I believe.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I know what you mean. I had to go to Meijers for a couple unplanned things & I was astounded by the prices. My usual strategy is to only buy things on sale/clearance/coupons & only when I know I can't get it cheaper @ Aldi's. Our Aldi's has had milk under $1.00 a gallon & eggs under .50 a dozen for months. I keep wondering when the prices will shoot up. I had several successful Kroger trips where I got clearance/sale meats so the freezer is pretty stocked. I have been spending around $35.00 a week at Aldi's for the two of us, mostly fruit, vegetables & dairy. I did get a 5# chicken there this week for $2.80. So far we are fairing pretty well with good planning, but if I didn't have cheap meat in the freezer, I would be hurting.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sadly I am usually standing in the grocery store with my mouth open trying to wrap my mind around the
prices. We have been making a habit of only buying what is on sale. Our meals are sorta odd some weeks
but I just can't afford it. Luckily we do have about 4 Aldis close to us. I have shopped Aldis for many years
and their prices have gone up alot. Still cheaper than regular grocery though. We have a BigLots that I have
been finding good prices.

The one good thing is I have been losing a few pounds by just eating less.

F

·
0 Posts
The prices are crazy
You have Aldi in America? Awesome! We have them in the UK too - I go completely out of my way to go there as it's so much cheaper!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
We get a few things off of Amazon prime. Nothing fresh or frozen of course.

We live in a really high cost of living area. Looking at other people's post, I think that I may have a different idea of expensive that other people. $35 a week? I think we may spend more than that a week for just vegetables.

We are spending around $150 a week for two people and two cats. Once a week we have two or three friends over for dinner. That includes personal care products and household cleaning stuff though. Our food is primarily chicken, fish, meatloaf, rice, beans - no pricey cuts of meat. We do eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables so that adds up. We are cooking and baking most of our food. Very little prepackage or convenience foods.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I read others Aldis milk and egg prices and I'm always WOW!!!! Ours is right at $3 and eggs maybe 20 cents cheaper. So if milk and eggs were mainly why I was going the $1 saved isn't worth turning the car off and restarting gas wise. I go to Aldis once in awhile but not often. I shop mostly Walfart and Publix.

Yes, Piney, they are going up. If I hit a spell where I haven't went for a couple two or three weeks other than run in and out I'm always shocked. 80/20 hamburger is close to $5. I think $4.59 if not on "sale" for $3.99.

A long time ago I used to go every 2 weeks and I saved a lot doing that. Whether it was because of things not on my list dropping in my cart or whatever. I would have to do a run in for milk, bread etc but I definitely saved. Trying to do that again in the last month but not doing such a hot job of it. Always something and hubs isn't much of one for " if it isn't here then make do".

I've saw a lot of things jump 50 cents at one climb over the past 2 years. No pennys... Big jumps. Walmarts milk here ... THEIR brand... just went up about a month ago to $4.09??? I think it was. Dang... Publix is still $3.69.

Reactions: Livin Large

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I've saw a lot of things jump 50 cents at one climb over the past 2 years. No pennys... Big jumps. Walmarts milk here ... THEIR brand... just went up about a month ago to $4.09??? I think it was. Dang... Publix is still $3.69.
A couple of weeks ago I was in Joplin and at wm milk was 2.17gal and eggs .45doz. A week later I was in Aldi's about an hour away and milk and eggs were the same as Joplin. Today at my local wm where I do the most of my grocery shopping, milk was 4.33 and eggs 1.97doz, :surprise: same price for the past year or so.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am not sure why our Aldi's is so low on milk & eggs. They used to be higher, so I feel really fortunate that the prices have stayed this low these last few months. I fully expect prices to shoot up. They also have been having very nice produce @ good prices. I think this varies by location. I buy very little processed food & cook at home. (Like EB I have lost a few pounds). i may have misspoke that i would be "hurting" if i didn't have a back up of meat in the freezer, but i definitely would be noticing.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was in Joplin and at wm milk was 2.17gal and eggs .45doz. A week later I was in Aldi's about an hour away and milk and eggs were the same as Joplin. Today at my local wm where I do the most of my grocery shopping, milk was 4.33 and eggs 1.97doz, :surprise: same price for the past year or so.
No rhyme or reason to it all. Makes no sense... especially as Florida has dairy cows galore.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I will be going to Aldis next week and will check the price of eggs and milk. I do not buy milk too often. I have no need for it much and my husband drinks soy or almond milk. The eggs at Walmart have been 2.10 for 2-18 count cartons for the last month or so. We are getting more and more used to meatless meals and I only buy meat that has been marked down. I go early to the store and just check the markdowns. We can save by going to the flea market on Fridays for vegetables too. I do not stockpile much of anything anymore.

There has been Aldis around me for 20+ years. A brand new store will open in Aug in my town.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Our milk is just short of $4 a gallon. I've also been noticing the meat prices here keep climbing too. I also only buy sale meat. I wish we had an Aldi's in Louisiana. I found 2 salvage grocery stores within a couple of miles. They rarely have any produce that's worth buying. One is good for shelf food and the other one has decent frozen meat prices if I don't have what I need in the freezer. One time I got baby back ribs for $2/pound and cut up or whole chickens are always $0.79/pound. Today I'm grinding sale pork to make my own sausage - $1.30/# instead of $3-4 and less than 1/2 the fat. I also noticed that our home ground hamburger is a lot less bloody/watery than what we would buy in the store. Makes me angry knowing we are paying $4/pound for water when we buy ground meat at the store. We are trying to eat more homemade bread too. DH doesn't like my bread for sandwiches but we use it when we eat soups, stews and grilled cheese. I'm so thankful my SIL has chickens and doesn't eat the eggs. I'm not a big egg eater but I'm forcing myself to eat them and trying new egg recipes. Fortunately my SIL isn't the best egg hunter in the world so she has a new crop of about 15 chickens and we are going to start putting the roosters and the older hens in the freezer - hopefully later this week. Sorry if I went off topic but the prices are getting worse and worse in the stores. I'm so thankful for my garden even though it doesn't produce all the veggies I like to eat.

·
Registered
921 Posts
We looked up salvage grocery stores near us. There are a few not so near us but it would make a
nice day trip to check them out. I always hear of people getting good deals.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I miss the one in Salt Lake City. I only went a couple of times a year when I had to go to the airport, I lived 3+ hours away in Idaho. I loved that store! A box of 12 frozen whole chickens with rotisserie seasoning was $0.25/pound. The amount I saved always covered the gas money for the trip. The local ones I have don't have that kind of deals but it's still a savings. Name Brand Alum for $1 a bottle (I use it for canning pickles and it's like $4 a bottle), A1 steak sauce for $2 a bottle instead of $4. I say take a cooler and make it a day trip. Just remember they are hit and miss so if you find something you like buy it because they may never have it again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I made a run thru Krogers this afternoon since I ran an errand right next door. I got 30 individual size packs of peanuts for 10 cents each. Usually .89. DH eats peanuts all the time, so I was happy. There were no good meat deals, they had a couple steaks in manager specials but they were still too pricey for me. I got frozen potatoes & Lima beans, both on sale. Aldi's doesn't carry either one of those items. I didn't buy , but Kroger milk was $1.27 & their eggs were .88.
I eat eggs nearly every day. We eat meat one meal a day, then not very large portions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Western Kentucky. Right now for some reason they are having price wars with milk and eggs. The local Kroger and Walmart have milk for .97 cents a gallon. 18 count eggs are .49 cents. No telling how long it will last though. I will take it while I can get it! :smile2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts