Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for it!

July was great only spending around $60 for groceries for the pantry/poverty challenge.This month I need to stock up on some staples and stuff for dd's lunches for school(kindergarten)

Goal:$140
Family size:4
Total:0

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
WTG Amanda! I did really good too at just under $66! Not seeing any good sales helped a lot! I ought to be able to make it through August without having to buy any meat, save an excellent deal on ground beef. Since I have WIC, I won't be spending on milk, etc. I just need diapers and .... things free or dirt cheap. I'm going to try $75 for August!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm sticking with $200 for August. I came in under that for July and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I will join the challenge this month since the boys are headed back to school, we have to start buying things for school lunches again. I am going to set my goal at $200.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Way to go Karen and Amanda!! I wish I could have had low totals this month but then having bar b ques almost every weekend, my daughters birthday and the hot summer(meaning my husband drinks more coke than usual) just left me at about the same totals I normally get.

I guess for August I'll set my goal at 170$. I think that for July I'll have spent about that much so I should be able to do it again.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Well I have to got to get better about my grocery shopping this month. I am setting a goal of $200.00 and $50.00 of that has to got towards rebuilding my stock. I am no longer buying diapers so that will help.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I just went through my chest freezer and WOW!!! I have so much, I will be able to live on pantry poverty for a couple more months. I did not keep track of my totals, but I couldnt have spent more than 100.00, if that! Next month will be way less because I will have way less to spend, but I will be okay, WOW, I really stockpiled some meat!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Well, I blew (or should I say DH) July's budget. Dh had to BBQ and we ran out of a BUNCH of stuff. I have hardly any meat in the house! I am going for $300.00 and htink I can keep it under that since DS#1 will be gone for a week at Scout camp. We shall see...

·
Registered
601 Posts
well i will try and shoot for $200.00 --this will be the first time I have joined in on this challenge so it should be fun......So anytime I go to the grocery store, Walmart, etc to buy food, household items i should deduct that, right???

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a hard time figuring all this up this week cause a lot of teh stuff I bought wasn't groceries so I had to add all the grocery stuff in my head(see list in town crier!)But so far I've spent $6.84

Goal:$140-family of 4
Total:$6.84

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
JALCCLARK Do you maybe offer a crash course?:D I am going to go over budget I can tell and it is only the 4th day of the month:( Oh well I am using this month to get back in the swing of things and it makes a huge difference with all 4 kids home all day. I spent $116.00 at Wal-Mart and $40.00 at Gerbes. The Gerbes trip was good because I got a lot of meat B1G1F. Total so far is $156.00 I have $44.00 left.

·
Registered
601 Posts
so the stuff for this challenge is grocery items, right --food, cleaning products, paper products, etc.. just want to be sure i doing my totals correctly. thanks

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I spent $60 stocking up for a BBQ, buying pet food for all the cats (one on a special diet) and replenishing the TP supply along with regular staples needed here. We've had company since last Thursday and have a teenagedboy staying with us for another 2 weeks. That makes 4 teen boys to feed for half the month!:eek: I'm going to be raiding the pantry and freezer like mad to keep the bills down.

Goal :$200
Spent: $60
Left: $140

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
vickie, you can do it however you want :)

I think I'm going to only count the personal care items for us that are necessites (like deodorant/oral care/shampoo etc.)in the grocery totals.

Things like nail polish, highlighting kits etc. I'm going to put into the entertainment/misc. category for our budgeting purposes :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Oops forgot to add my totals for now...

It's at 5$ spent,give or take...on bread, zucchini and ground flax seed.

But I should be spending another 6$ tonight on milk and cereal, then about 20$ or so the next day on the big stock up trip.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I sent dh to Sam's for a few things :eek: He did really good!

Trash bags
Diapers
Kraft Cheese Slices

$39.64

He also got me a printer cartriage refill kit for $16.32, an awesome deal. It has 4 3 oz bottles of black ink, and 1 3oz bottle of yellow, magenta, cyan, photo magenta and photo cyan, plus all the stuff and instructions to refill almost any cartriage. I filled mine and mom's already. (The first one is a mess, it gets easier)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WTG everyone!I include in our "grocery budget" food,toiletries,cleaning supplies,also some household items like film and batteries too.Right now its getting kinda complicated cause we are planning for our disney trip and the food I buy for that is NOT included in our grocery budget its a seperate budget.Heather makeup,color etc is included in my extras..dh and I get a certain amount a week for that($10)I hope this helped anyone who wondered how in the heck did she get X amount after Y amount was spent.I budget everything down to teh clothes we wear to the money we get from collecting cans!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
you are just so organized amanda! I might have to start a frugal notebook binder like I've read you do! :)

Today I went and did my big stock up trips...

I spent about 19.30$ and got:

1 pack Orbit gum on clearance
1 HUGE honeydew melon, for only a buck!
1/2 of a cantalope
2.4 lbs zucchini
4.2 lbs Banana's
1 lb Jicama
1 Romaine head of lettuce
2 loose carrots
1 Celery Bunch
1 lb frozen Blackberries
1 Roll Ralphs Papertowels
1 2pack Parkay 25% red. sat. fat maragarine
2 Starkist tuna creation packets
4 cans bumble bee touch of lemon chunk light tuna
2 packs Ball park meat franks
8oz. sliced Swiss cheese
2 Boxes Cap N Crunch Berries cereal
2 loaves of Sara Lee Bread

I saved 13.20 in coupons, and at least saved 40$ if you include sale prices.

I ended up paying full price for banana's because Ayla went with me :toothy:

I'm going to try to only spend money on cokes/hamburger meat/oranges and a few sale/coupon items at raley's for next week. Then again I haven't even seen what's going to be on sale at Ralphs yet, that could blow that plan out of the water!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts