Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I move I am going to have to buy all new grocerys, even the basics like flour and such. We have food here where we are now, but we are going to eat it all up and not buy any grocerys til we move and start fresh. What are some things I should NOT forget to buy?? I don't want to OVER buy but I want to make sure I have everything I need, kwim?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I think it depends on the types of foods you like.

Basics though...
Spices
Flour
Sugar
baking supplies
tomato products - sauce, paste

bottom line... think of your main dishes that you two enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
ohhh..
found this:
Spices in Cupboard
Allspice
Basil
Chili powder
Cinnamon
Celery seed
Cloves
Garlic Powder
Ginger
Onion Powder
Oregano
Nutmeg
Italian Seasoning
Paprika
Parsley Flakes
Sage
Other Baking Items
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Salt/Pepper
Crisco
Cocoa
Corn Syrup
Flour
Powdered Sugar
Molasses
Soy Sauce
Sugar
Oil
Vanilla
Vinegar
Worchester Sauce
Stuff In the Fridge
Parmesan Cheese
Butter
Relish/pickles
Catsup
Mayonaise
Mustard
Eggs
Milk

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Spaghetti
Noodles
Potatoes
Cereal?

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
brown rice
whole wheat pasta
dried beans
canned beans
canned tomoatoes
tuna
peanut butter
jelly
oatmeal
popcorn
nuts
these are just a few off the top of my head....

·
4,028 Posts
I would start off with a meal plan for a week then buy the ingredients you need for that.

So your typical breakfast items would include: milk, cereals, bagels, toast, eggs, etc.

Lunches: bread, mayo, tuna, lunch meats, PB and J, etc.

Dinners: meatloaf, chicken, pasta, lasagna, veggies, etc.

As you need the small condiment/spice items you can acquire them during your weekly shopping trip without busting the budget on them all at one time.

As you start to settle into the apartment, you'll find that you can add to your pantry with the baking goods, extra veggies, and spices.

Good for you for planning ahead.

Reactions: wanderlusting

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I am trying REALLY hard to make this move as cheap as possible and as organized as possible!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I'm with Cea on this. I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of spices, oils, or even baking supplies. (unless you plan to bake right away) I would do a menu plan by how your payday's fall and slowly add to your list. But don't forget salt and pepper. :)

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would set up a Theme for each payday and set aside $X to buy items related to that theme after you have bought the items for your meal plan.

For example
Make payday 1 "HEALTHY quick and easy" where you pick up items that can make a nice snack quickly so your are not tempted to go for fast food - in my house it is often peanut butter, small packs of frozen veggies, canned tuna, popcorn ...

Make payday 2 "Spices" where you buy your step beyond basic spices

Make payday 3 "Baking" where you buy basic baking goods

and so on...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Oh yes, I forgot...I wouldn't buy items like "corn syrup". You can make a simple syrup that can sub for corn syrup in any application. If it calls for 1 cup, use 1 cup water and one cup sugar and boil until sugar is dissolved.

Same thing for other "specialty" items like spaghetti sauce, enchilada sauce -- use tomato sauce or paste and spices (the key is use at least 1/4 cup sugar - most people say their homemade sauce doesn't taste as good as store bought - that is because the store bought is loaded with sweetener - even with 1/4 cup it is still much less than store bought and will taste better.

Cream of __ soups, use butter, flour and milk (opens your eyes to how much fat is really in that stuff) but the reason is to not clutter up the pantry AND it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree with Ceashells. When we first moved overseas, I tried to just restock everything at once. We spent waaaayyy too much money getting that done.

I'd just plan out your meals for the week and get what you need for those items. This way you can slowly get your pantry stocked

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Tuna.pasta and tomato sauces are on sale everyware right now so overstock a few.
Make sure its centered around what you will eat.
Then find coupons from the internet
Easter is coming so things people make for Easter will be following
Watch trends.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I would start off with a meal plan for a week then buy the ingredients you need for that.

So your typical breakfast items would include: milk, cereals, bagels, toast, eggs, etc.

Lunches: bread, mayo, tuna, lunch meats, PB and J, etc.

Dinners: meatloaf, chicken, pasta, lasagna, veggies, etc.

As you need the small condiment/spice items you can acquire them during your weekly shopping trip without busting the budget on them all at one time.

As you start to settle into the apartment, you'll find that you can add to your pantry with the baking goods, extra veggies, and spices.

Good for you for planning ahead.
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly with all of that and the meal ideas Ceashels suggested are great. You'll know what 'basics' you need based on what you plan to eat over the week :thumb:.

My SO and I have only been together in this apartment about a year and have just been steadily stocking everything up. I didn't buy all of the spices at once, for instance; I meal plan for each week and I buy a new spice as and when it's necessary. Same with my baking goods. I started off with one or two recipes' worth of ingredients and built upon that as I came across new ones each month. That way I didn't have to blow money on everything at one time.

I've even applied the same logic to our kitchen items and household appliances. A year in and I am still slowly adding to these as we need them and money is set aside in my budget each month for new cooking items and new household items.

Good luck, Ashley. You're so organised :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts