Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh...I have to spend a lot more than I normally do. We are out of everything. Things that we should not be out of that I just bought are gone because dad, dads fiance, and brother were here this weekend when we were in PA and we come home to a lot missing.

I have nothing to drink but spicket water which is nastttyyy here, zip lock bags are REALLY needed, aluminum foil, trash bags, dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo, paper towels, eggs, milk, butter, bread, and the list goes on and on.

Its not going to be a good grocery week at all. I am thinking $150...but then again it will be $150 now, and prolly not much the next weeks after.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I can't. As much as I wish I could, and I wish he would...he seems to think he never eats or drinks here (which he does, all the time) and it would cause a fight. Plus, I had to borrow money from dad two weeks ago anyway and he would be like uhm, no, you owe me money, ya know?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Ashley, for the time being can you just treat this like a roommate situation? When I had roommates I used to store all my dry goods in my room in cardboard boxes in my closet. 1 was for things like shampoo, toilet paper, etc., the other was for things like pasta, canned goods, bread etc.. The rest you'll need to leave in the fridge, but just keep that to a limited amount. It really was the only thing that worked when I had roommates, the women left each others things alone, the guys did not. :(

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Another thought, how much do you *really* need *this* week? How much of it is on your list simply because you are out of it -- but maybe you won't NEED until next week? It happens to me too, suddenly it seems like we're out of everything all at once, but after thinking about it a while, I can push some of it back a week or two and spread the costs out.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I think you guys need to ask them to replace the items they used. It's only fair. If it was me, I'd have locked away everything I bought. If it was more than your dad, I'd tell them they can either help replace everything or don't bother using the items you bought.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
when my son lived in a house with 3 other guys the guys werent much of an issue but friends they had over often helped themselves to things without asking esp if he was hoem for the weekend.

he kept bottled water in his car trunk put a few at a time in the fridge so it all didnt dissappear .
he kept canned goods- jar and packaged goods under his bed or in a storage bin in his room .
if its not out where they can see it and assume its community property less will go missing .

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i need to be a big shopping trip mainly because i havent for a few weeks - i get to do it for 7 LOL

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an fyi - Aldi's bread is just fine. dd eats a peanut butter sandwich on it every day and has not complained. she used to eat it on HomePride wheat - now we use aldi's whheat bread
Aldis is quite far from me and Shop Rite bread is $1 so I am not to concerned about bread! Thanks for the heads up!

Ashley, for the time being can you just treat this like a roommate situation? When I had roommates I used to store all my dry goods in my room in cardboard boxes in my closet. 1 was for things like shampoo, toilet paper, etc., the other was for things like pasta, canned goods, bread etc.. The rest you'll need to leave in the fridge, but just keep that to a limited amount. It really was the only thing that worked when I had roommates, the women left each others things alone, the guys did not. :(
I really have no room, in my room for anything else. I even have my cats locked up in my room. And the problem is not the dry food so much, its the stuff in the fridge. Dad will even grab DHs razor from the bathroom and use it in the shower! I say dad did u use the razor that was so and so? He says yeah why is the bad? I say well it was not new so you had to of known it was one of ours...ugh!

Another thought, how much do you *really* need *this* week? How much of it is on your list simply because you are out of it -- but maybe you won't NEED until next week? It happens to me too, suddenly it seems like we're out of everything all at once, but after thinking about it a while, I can push some of it back a week or two and spread the costs out.
I really need all of it this week. I really needed all of it LAST week. I am trying to be really frugal about it and there is a lot more stuff that I need that I scratched off the list that can wait, but whats on there now is what I do need.

I think you guys need to ask them to replace the items they used. It's only fair. If it was me, I'd have locked away everything I bought. If it was more than your dad, I'd tell them they can either help replace everything or don't bother using the items you bought.
I wish, but its really not that easy. He does not realize they will drink a whole container of OJ, or my whole 2ltr of ginger ale, and then the worst part is, they do not even clean up their cups or plates or trash. They leave it for me. Loose loose situation. For some reason as soon as dads fiance comes over (who is not here to often) she goes right for the kitchen and looks in the cabinets. Dad never has gone grocery shopping in all the years I have known him. Nothing in their is his, its all ours. It drives me nuts.

Can you buy generics or $1 store version of what is needed for now buying only what is needed for this week?
I almost always buy store brand if its cheaper, and everything on my list I need for my meal plan and for this week. Ugh :(

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I think I might make room some how, some way. If you can't keep them out of your things, then you've got to keep your things from them.

I would NOT buy many perishables at one time, and I'd start being really selective about what perishables I did buy. Example. If I wanted chicken salad for supper one night next week, I'd buy canned chicken & bread to keep in my room and just keep the mayo in the fridge. I'd buy canned fruit instead of fresh, again the canned would go in my room, I'd buy powdered creamer to keep in my room instead of liquid creamer that goes in the fridge. I'd find a way to keep my stuff out of their hands if they refused to respect me by keeping their hands off what they didn't pay for.

You're not left a lot of choices. If they won't replace it, or pay up for what they use you can either keep your stuff put away where they can't get it, or every single day go shopping and only buy what you need for 24 hours time. :hugz:

One thought, you could always keep your stuff in the trunk of your car. fairly soon it will be as cold as a fridge outside, round the clock and you could even keep perishables in there.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Instead of eggs, I'd buy egg replacer. It is good for baking/pancakes/etc and you can keep it in the room. I'd omit the milk and butter. Like the others have said, I would find a way to keep it in the room.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I wouldn't ask them to replace things, but I would eliminate purchases of things that are WANTS and not NEEDS. For example, I also love ginger ale, but it's a want. I don't have to have it, and if I need to cut back it'll be one of the first things to go. Same thing with the OJ. Juice is good, but expensive for what it is, and maybe I could get a bag of oranges and eat the fruit whole instead of buying the juice. Have you tried using a water filter? Can you use dishtowels or wash cloths instead of paper towels?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dad will even grab DHs razor from the bathroom and use it in the shower! I say dad did u use the razor that was so and so? He says yeah why is the bad? I say well it was not new so you had to of known it was one of ours...ugh!

I wouldn't think that is very sanitary. I sure wouldn't want to sure my razor with my mother.
Are you near at Rite Aid or Walgreens? There $5/$25 printable cpns floating around online. I'm sorry you'll be going through a difficult streak this week.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would have no issues asking your dad for $ 20 or so since his friends ans his girl help delpete the pile.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not really sure what to say guys. Everything on my list is a need for us this week. Yes, I need orange juice. Buying oranges is more expensive than $2 for the juice. And the .88c for ginger ale isnt gonna kill me either. I don't splurge on must but I do on drinks because I will not drink water all the time. I don't have coffee but I like my ginger ale with dinner, and it also calms my stomach. As far as getting powdered eggs, and things of that nature, I am really not going to waste my time with it. It just seems a bit above and beyond. If I keep things in my room dad will notice and it will cause a fight because he is letting me live here and I cant let him even eat some of my food.

I pretty much just posted this thread for a, that sucks response I guess...and I guess I just wanted to vent that is sucks when you run out of everything, haha.

·
Registered
844 Posts
spicket water which is nastttyyy here - can you boil it, let it cool and put in an empty bottle, for instance a rinsed ginger ale bottle?

zip lock bags are REALLY needed -will washed-out butter containers do?
aluminum foil -what do you use it for? If in the oven, you can just leave it out and wash the oven plate afterwards
trash bags - will grocery bags do for now?
dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo - sorry, no alternatives come to mind
paper towels -real towels
eggs, milk, butter, bread -again, no alternatives come to mind, just go for cheapest acceptable
and the list goes on and on - maybe we can think of more alternatives if you post the rest of your list here

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An, I forgot. Do you guy's pay your dad rent? :)
We start on the 1st to the tune of $400 which dad says is 1/2 the water and electric (which is NOT true) but it will go up when dad needs to buy oil. Ugh!!!

spicket water which is nastttyyy here - can you boil it, let it cool and put in an empty bottle, for instance a rinsed ginger ale bottle? We could, but I have a hard time drinking water all the time.

zip lock bags are REALLY needed -will washed-out butter containers do? I don't have any of those, lol.
aluminum foil -what do you use it for? If in the oven, you can just leave it out and wash the oven plate afterwards We use it for everything. I put it in the crock pot to avoid burning, in the oven, to cover things, etc.
trash bags - will grocery bags do for now? I would be rough, we always seem to have SO much trash.
dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo - sorry, no alternatives come to mind
paper towels -real towels I only have 4 real towels to share between DH and I for a week, so this is not really an option.
eggs, milk, butter, bread -again, no alternatives come to mind, just go for cheapest acceptable
and the list goes on and on - maybe we can think of more alternatives if you post the rest of your list here
:)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.