Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, I've seen on the news about the food crisis, and even though I was expecting higher prices at the grocery store today, I was still in shock at the price difference between this week and last.

Here is what I didn't buy today.

Fresh broccoli $3.47 ( was $1.47)
Baby Carrots $1.29 (was 99 cents)
Generic frosted mini wheats $4.99 (was $2.99)
Noodles and sauce packets $1.79 ( was $1.09)
Oranges $7.49 for a 5 pound bag ( was $3.49)

Unbelievable - some stuff has more than doubled in a week. Luckily I still found some reasonable prices - I got a lot of frozen veggies and some local asparagus, as well as some bags of brown rice and flour.

Wow - we are running out of time to stock up before it's completely unaffordable to eat!

·
Registered
871 Posts
The high produce prices should only be temporary.. things are out of control right now only because of the bad weather... On the other hand...corn, rice and wheat products are rising quickly too...those are the stock up products...

·
Registered
135 Posts
daisygirl I know what you are talking about. I got 2 large tomatoes yesterday 1.75 pounds total price 5.56. Cant wait to plant my own. UGH!!!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We are seeing it too.

Peppers are $2.00 each.

Today I only got apples for $.98 per pound, grapes $1.28, and a 10# bags of potatoes for $1.88

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Spring is always a bad time of year for produce, it's not in season here yet and the southern hemisphere is nearing the end of its season.

Prices go up and down here, too from week to week. I just buy what is on sale.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I hadn't been on a major shop for several months until about a month ago...went to WalMart expecting to spend somewhere around 150....knew as I was picking stuff up it was ALOT higher but when I got to the register it was 204.00.

Aleve was 4$ higher alone...and every week I go...as I'm back to going every week again...it's higher yet. I really don't know what older people are going to do before long that don't have any retirement left...and there's alot of us

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Sugar as of yesterday was $4.09 for a 5#bag @ Walmart.

Aldi's (also yesterday) wanted $3.09 for a 5#bag..

This does scare me alot on how quickly everything is rising in price..
I stockpile as a general rule anyway..but I'm more focused on stocking up on the priorities sugar,flour,coffee,oil,powdered milk & meat for now.

I'm going to start to making everything I can from scratch..I have quite a collection of small kitchen appliances that there is no reason for me not to be using them on a regular basis..

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
One thing I don't understand is the news, internet etc said groceries were going up 3 to 5% in the upcoming year...I'm NOT seeing 3 or 5% increases...I'd be happy with 3% or 5%. Everything is increasing like 50cents. When I went to school that was NOT those percentages.

I've been going to Aldis for the last month...it just opened a few months ago..I still go to Publix for the BOGO's and the pick up 1 or 2 things ( Aldis and WalMart are in the next town, Publix is on the way home) but Aldis is where the majority of groceries are done now...exception of meat...that's Publix.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Niko, Our local news said it would be a 12% rise in food cost. *sigh*

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm seeing it here also I bought a lot of frozen veggies and fruits last week and like every one else I can not wait to plant a garden .( I have been buying seeds already)
I went to Shaw's Friday morning and they were marking down some veggies that were dated for the 20th of Feb so I grabbed a bunch they were all 50% off and froze what could be froze and we are eating the rest.
I have read that cotton,corn,wheat,sugar, rice and chocolate and coffee will be very expensive in the coming months coffee is on sale this week at Walgreen's and Rite Aid so will buy when on sale at a good price. I'm at about 3 months on some things ahead some I'm 6 months and some a year.
I do wonder how people will afford bills,gas,oil,food it is all getting expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are actually signs up in our produce department stating that prices of certain items will be going up due to the bad (cold) weather. Hopefully that's temporary!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Daisygirl........are you quoting American $ prices.....or yours?

Yeow........I have been watching for broccoli to get cheaper..........this is the time of year (or in another month) that I watch, buy and freeze. I don't even try to grow it.......it bolts too easy here...BTDT! BUT........if the $ doesn't come down I might change my mind.

Was already told that asparagus ..........to buy 30 pounds---would be about a buck a pound!! :yikes: And THAT is the price when I drive 2 hours..........will check closer to home.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Franny - those are Canadian prices.

Niko - I agree - everything I read did not lead me to expect quite this much of an increase. Some items TRIPLED in a week.

I'm afraid it isn't over yet, though - this is only the beginning of a hyperinflation that we have not seen in our lifetime. With gas prices going up and the loss of vital crops all over the world, people will have no choice but to get back to basics and produce as much of their own food as possible.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
SO glad for my dehydrator, vacuum sealer, and stockpile! I ONLY buy when food is in season and/or on sale. I have redoubled my efforts to buy as much as possible (as long as I can use it in a certain amount of time) when I find items on sale, have coupons, etc.

Everyone should try to regularly compare prices at two or three (or more local grocery stores) to find the best prices. Also look for salvage, scratch and dent, and freight damage store in and around your areas.

I also am building the next layer of my stockpile. When Honeyville Grain has a sale, I purchase more #10 cans of fruits, vegetables, and other items they carry.

Everything in my stockpile was purchased when on sale. So my savings is HUGE. Plus the convenience of having it is wonderful. When money gets tight (and it has) I can live off my stockpile and not go near a store for long periods of time.

Start cooking from scratch and stop/reduce buying boxed, premade food. Cooking from scratch is better for you and MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Definately have noticed the price change. To me it looks like atleast an additional 50 cents.

Will definately be stocking up on rice products. One think I do enjoy is my stockpile. I basically purchase what is on sale.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It looks like I picked the right time to get lap band surgery next month. What I pay for in medical costs I will make up for in savings at the grocery store...yikes!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I hadn't been on a major shop for several months until about a month ago...went to WalMart expecting to spend somewhere around 150....knew as I was picking stuff up it was ALOT higher but when I got to the register it was 204.00.

Aleve was 4$ higher alone...and every week I go...as I'm back to going every week again...it's higher yet. I really don't know what older people are going to do before long that don't have any retirement left...and there's alot of us
Here's a printable coupon for Aleve:

Coupons

I buy a lot of WalMart versions (Equate) of brand name OTC meds. Do they duplicate Aleve?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.