Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ground Beef & Potato Meal

Recipe Description
Easy ground beef and potatoes, a meal in one pot, cooked in the slow cooker.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotgroundbeef/r/bl8c3.htm​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
* 1 large clove garlic, minced
* 1/4 tsp. pepper
* 1/2 tsp. leaf thyme
* 4 to 6 medium potatoes
* 2 large onions
* 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1/4 cup water​
Serves:
4​
Directions:
Cook ground beef and garlic in skillet until lightly browned. Stir in pepper and thyme. Peel and slice potatoes and onions. Put 1/2 potatoes and onions into buttered Crock Pot. Add browned beef and top with remaining potatoes and onions. Mix mushroom soup with water and spread over top of contents. Cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

I think I'm going to use cooking spray vs. butter to make it healthier too. I'm going to make homemade cream of mushroom soup too vs. the canned stuff.​

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have you ever actually made this dish? I tried it out of the Fix it and Forget It Cookbook, and while it is very tasty it is very very dry.

I changed it by adding an additional can of soup, some extra water and layering the soup mixture as you layer the beef and potatoes. If you cook it as the recipe states the soup literally sits on top of the whole thing.

This is a good recipe though - thanks for posting it. I'll have to make it again. And it makes a TON of food!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
This sounds delicious, gonna have to try this one!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
That sounds delicious!!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have you ever actually made this dish? I tried it out of the Fix it and Forget It Cookbook, and while it is very tasty it is very very dry.
Yes I have tried it (yesterday, in fact), or it would be in the kitchen basics forum and not the cookbook.

It wasn't dry at all for me, though I used homemade cream of mushroom soup, so that may have been why mine was fine. I also stirred it after the first couple of hours, so my soup did not stay on top.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for ideas on easy hamburger crockpot meals. It seems like even though we're home all day, since we've started homeschooling I'm exhausted!

I actually have all the ingredients, so this may go on the menu for tonight!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think I will try this one tomorrow ... I will be sleeping during the day and by supper time I will be tired .. cranky lol you get the drill soooo quick easy . cookiung while i am sleeping is good meal!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is there a way to make this on the stove or in the oven? My crockpot died, as did my coffee pot, toaster and mixer. Not a good week for appliances let me tell ya. I love this recipe but have been afraid to try it in the oven for fear of it being too dry.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I think this would be fine on the stove. I cook something similar on the stove with Pork chops. Just brown the ground beef put the potatoes, onions and soup in and let it simmer away, with the lid on. Should probably only take about 45 minutes or so on top of the stove.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I make a dish that is just about similiar. I call it crockpot beef & potatoes. Mine turns out very creamy, and I also add some frozen veggies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts