Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in tears. My beautiful garden has been getting eaten and destroyed for the last few weeks by what I think is a groundhog. We have our garden fenced in with deer netting but the little bugger keeps chewing holes in the netting. I asked my dh to fix it 2 days ago and all he did was cover the hole with dirt and throw a piece of wood in front of it. I went in today to replant a few things and it ate every bean plant I lovingly transplanted after his first free for all. Almost all of my tomatoes have been chewed down to nothing and he ate all of the parsley and brussel sprouts. I'm seriously in tears here...I spent HOURS hoeing and weeding and now...36 tomato plants eaten down to nothing. He ate all my green beans, herbs...just about everything except the peppers and eggplant. I guess I need chicken wire around the perimeter now...another expense! Last year's crop was horrible with the tomato blight and bad weather so I was really hoping for a good year. I really want to catch this critter and boot him off my property!! I have a have-a-heart trap but he's too slick for that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I had dogs that kept the rabbits out of our yard. And last year same as you I put plastic fencing around my garden; if rabbits could laugh; they would have had a good one. Then we put chicken wire around the garden and they couldn't chew through it. This year I saw one around our patio and I looked and it chewed my asters and then ate the leaves.
I'm sorry you are going through this I know all the work it takes to start the garden and how awful it is for these animals to clean it out in a very short time.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That's so terrible!! I'm so sorry this has happened to your garden after all the work that goes into planting, tending, and funding...
I wish I had a solution, but I don't ...I do wish you the best though...:hugz:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I know how you feel.. a few years back I had the same thing happen I spent all day planting and the next morning it was all down to nubs.. we put up a wood fence around the lower half of the plastic fence ofter that and had no prob. but I also hear and use irish spring soap and also take a old sweaty shirt and hang up and if you have any men in the family have them "water" the lawn around (not to close) to the garden that keeps critters away .

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
My only idea is a more serious trap but you might not be up for that. I take serious issue with anything eating my food supply!!

I am so sorry this has happened. Gardening takes a lot of time and effort and it is not fun when something can come in and wipe it out in no time! :hug2:

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you do put in chicken wire: make sure it's about 3ft deep in the ground to prevent rabbits digging their way into your garden.

Just ask around if people have some chicken wire lying around in their garages; I got plenty that way.

·
2,688 Posts
Maybe a different bait in the havaheart. Secure the trap and the bait down so the critter won't roll the cage and get back out. Maybe a bigger trap, or a different kind.
If it was my problem, I would have loaded shotgun in hand and sitting in a chair waiting on the varmit. Plants are costly in time and money to have to replace.
I have a chipmunk who thinks my front flower bed is a great place to dig. I tried a trap. I am hoping the hubby gets the critter when he wanders out to the bird feeder. He is averaging one chipmunk or squirrel a day. If we didn't take them out, we would be over run with them. We have a woods across the road, and out back of us, and lots of trees on our property. And now I find out, a man from the village next to us, is catching the critters on his property and bringing them up on this road, to release them live. Dang :(

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
My only idea is a more serious trap but you might not be up for that. I take serious issue with anything eating my food supply!!
If you do put in chicken wire: make sure it's about 3ft deep in the ground to prevent rabbits digging their way into your garden.

If it was my problem, I would have loaded shotgun in hand and sitting in a chair waiting on the varmit. Plants are costly in time and money to have to replace.
(
Exactly what they have said. Desperate times call for desperate measures. You could also ask around for someone to come and do it for you.

·
27,948 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you.
A gun and a fence high above ground and under are the only ways to keep that rodent out. We had that problem last year or the year before, it ruined my garden too.:(. Our garden was fenced in but the bugger got in at the bottom. We fixed that problem and went a step further by electrifying our fence. It may be over the top but deer and other pests will not prevail at our house. You work so hard on your garden and to have some animal take food out of the mouths of your family just can't be tolerated. And yes the animal was shot, problem over.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We had this problem last year. We had to replant almost the whole garden. We tried to caught it in a trap and it never would go in it. So the hubby had to get it with the shotgun. So my advice would be get a bigger cage and if that don't work shoot it! I know that sounds harsh but gardening is a lot of work and critters can destroy it in no time. Good luck.

Jenny

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have no problem shooting it but we lost our guns in the last flood. DH doesn't want to spend another $300+ just to kill this darn thing. Our fence is buried under the ground so no problem with anything getting in that way. This thing keeps chewing a hole in the fence. I guess chicken wire is the only solution...but now I would have to replant...again...and don't know if there is enough time or $$$ to recoup my losses. My tomatoes were already flowering and producing little tomatoes. Today I see the little **** ate all my zucchini plants too. The only thing left are cukes, basil, strawberries and peppers. Just don't know if it's cost effective to replace. Arghhhh.....I hate PA...and I'm not really rural either!! Thanks for all the ideas and support. I know you guys understand how disheartening it can be to see all your work get ruined overnight.

·
Registered
867 Posts
... And now I find out, a man from the village next to us, is catching the critters on his property and bringing them up on this road, to release them live. Dang :(
Get your own catch and release traps and return them? :)

We didn't have problems with animals when we tried a garden a couple years ago. We started things in little pellets inside and got them into the ground late. We're doing the same thing this year (not in the ground yet and may not happen this weekend due to my back). I wonder if all the critters have just learned that there's nothing to see in our yard by the time we get stuff in.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yep...if you are in an area where you can use a gun.....that would be my answer. (I wish I could)

I had/used a trap for years and the thing never even paid for itself by the time I sold it to some other fool that thought things would go in it. The critters are too smart.........didn't catch squirrels, marmots, cats..........anything......except the birds went in to get the food and would set if off.

You could also think about the poison end........if you don't have any animals that will get into it........I go out for blood if you mess with my garden!!! Poison.......guns......whatever works!! Hard work and too costly to lose it all!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay...there's not much left in the garden for this critter to eat but it is now Fort Knox. 8 foot tall deer fence buried under the ground with 4 feet of chicken wire all along the perimeter. If he still gets in I WILL be borrowing a gun and setting up shop up by the chicken coop!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Okay...there's not much left in the garden for this critter to eat but it is now Fort Knox. 8 foot tall deer fence buried under the ground with 4 feet of chicken wire all along the perimeter. If he still gets in I WILL be borrowing a gun and setting up shop up by the chicken coop!!!
I hope it works elphaba!

Keep us posted! We will hope for the best for you!! :tay:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
chicken wire around the bottom would be the best idea (IMO)...just remember to bury it about a ft or so to discourage the critter's digging. Also...if you manage to catch the little snot - cook him! Honestly ...groundhogs taste like pork roast. They are really good. ....okay- how many of you are now saying "EEEEWWWW!" lol.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Truely sounds like a ground hog. They eat to devistation. Squirrels seem to nibble on multiple things and bunnies are slow.
Spray liquid fence,plant mint,walk a dog around the perimeter and hose it if you see it. We annoyed ours out 1 year. One day i had beautiful beans and later that day I had green sticks!!
WE have let 3 of our cats out recently most days. -3 voles so far and a near miss by a chipmunk hunt. Woot cats.

·
2,688 Posts
Get your own catch and release traps and return them? :)
That thought did cross my mind........

I caught him right in the act of doing it....got a picture of his vehicle with my cell phone, and when he turned around in the road in front of me, and realized he had been caught...he was just a stuttering. Said he lived in the village, told me which street, etc. He just thought releasing them was the humane thing to do.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
so sorry .
we have bunny issues- but i love the wild rabbits - have a pet rabbit so icouldnt do anything to hurt teh few we have around here without feeling bad.
i started just doing some containor gardening and out them on old chairs etc so the bunnies couldnt get to them .

AM i the only one with the theme song to Caddyshack running thru my head with that scene little ground hog dancing while the golf course blows up around it because Bill
Murrys groundskeeper charactor was desperately trying to kill it LOL!! :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
We had every critter you could tink of. Finally we planted marigolds along the outside of the garden The smell keeps them away. You can also put moth balls around the outside (but not inside bythe plants as they are toxic) if you dont'have small kids or outdoor pets. They really work. Sknuks especially hate the smell. We haven't had a problem since. I also live in Pa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts