Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you plan on doing that or do you plan on being someone who is angry at the world, bitter for life happenings and unforgiving for all the cruel things that might have happened to you throughout life.

It interesting because I live in a small town of under 450 people, many of whom are senior citizens and well past 70.     Some of them are wonderful, with a smile for everyone, gentle speech and when you look into their eyes, you know they've grown old gracefully, even though their lives may have been a struggle.   There is just something about them that brightens the day, that makes you want to smile.

Then......there are others who won't smile for fear of cracking their face, they yell constantly, are angry at their neighbours and forever calling the police on them and have no time for small talk or chit chat.

Have you ever thought about that?      Do you think it starts at an early age and relates to how we were all our lives or do you think we can change has we grow older and indeed grow old gracefully?

·
27,948 Posts
I think you can always change. That takes a bit of work though & some people don't like that.;)
Me, I feel life is to short and too precious to not enjoy it as much as possible. I benifit too when I say or do something to make someone smile or ease their pain or encourage them. If I was a miserable person I wouldn't feel true joy and happiness and I'd be alone,empty and shallow.
Having a positive caring attitude means bunches.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I intend to grow old gracefully. Actually my hope is that though my body ages my spirit will remain ageless.
I have a sister and while she seems to be growing old gracefully, anyone who has ever disappointed her knows otherwise.
I want to be as far opposite of her as i can be! Its a shame but my children barely know her name, she is not mentioned here because all she has ever brought to my dh and me is hurt. She was so loving when I was a child and controled by my desire to please her, but when i married and my desire was for pleasing my dh, she changed, she can not stand dh because he is my life now and she is no longer in charge. Once she figured that out she tried to break us up, even after 10 years and 2 kids she tried to tear apart our family. Now I do not acknowledge her. I tried last year but the hurts are still there. I have forgiven, but she reminded me and so I will not write her again. I ask my brother about her and he tells me. He says she admitted to him she was wrong but can not admit it to me because... I am younger!:bang: In her eyes that means I should never be right or know more than she i guess!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd like to think I'll grow old gracefully like my Mother (82) has up to this point, but I'm going through a very tough time with her right now and things don't always turn out the way you intend. I've told my DH to smack me if I get grumpy too young! LOL

My sweet little Mother is not well and her emotions are very fragile. She has lived a hard life as a child, and then being widowed when my brother and I were sooo young, and had to raise us alone. She has had many, many setbacks and has gone through a lot of other things that would break some people, but has always been strong, independent and the rock of our family. This is very difficult for her... and me, seeing her go downhill like this. She has always lived a life according to her priorities, God, her children and family and for that I admire her greatly.

She is so concerned that she is appearing to be miserable and a whiner at this stage of her life and I just finished telling her yesterday that she has every right to express her feelings about the aging process, and I tried to acknowledge that what she's dealing with is not fun. I think that's all she needed to hear because it seemed to help her spirits.

I want to grow up to be just like her! :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I plan on growing old gracefully. I have health problems already, but to be able to see a sunrise, smell a flower, see a baby, how could one not be grateful for each day?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I want to grow old with grace and kindness. I want to be the kind of person that can serve as a role model for younger people.

This is a great question CJ. You always come up with the most thought provoking questions, I look forward to them.:)

·
27,948 Posts
Originally posted by DawnM
I'd like to think I'll grow old gracefully like my Mother (82) has up to this point, but I'm going through a very tough time with her right now and things don't always turn out the way you intend. I've told my DH to smack me if I get grumpy too young! LOL

My sweet little Mother is not well and her emotions are very fragile. She has lived a hard life as a child, and then being widowed when my brother and I were sooo young, and had to raise us alone. She has had many, many setbacks and has gone through a lot of other things that would break some people, but has always been strong, independent and the rock of our family. This is very difficult for her... and me, seeing her go downhill like this. She has always lived a life according to her priorities, God, her children and family and for that I admire her greatly.

She is so concerned that she is appearing to be miserable and a whiner at this stage of her life and I just finished telling her yesterday that she has every right to express her feelings about the aging process, and I tried to acknowledge that what she's dealing with is not fun. I think that's all she needed to hear because it seemed to help her spirits.

I want to grow up to be just like her! :D
Nancy, that was such a sweet post.:heartsm:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
CJ~ I love this question (but I'm still having a hard time thinking of myself as a third ager at 40:eek: )

Melissa~I'm so sorry about your relationship with your sister being so strained. I have extended family members who have tried to break my husband and I up for many years and they finally gave up when hubby confronted them on it and layed down the law.

Now, to answer the question...I plan to grow old gracefully and not follow in the previous generations of my family's footsteps. My grandma (I really loved and was close to her) controlled everyone through guilt because of her health problems. My Mom would be beside herself because Grandma could lay on the guilt thick! Grandma never tried this on me, but she did with everyone else. My mom is a very active woman in her mid 60's now and she told me this weekend that she is too old to care what people think of her and is going to say and do exactly what she pleases. In her words "I don't care if people do think I a b*tch, that's their problem". UGH!!!! Yes, I am praying for my mother to tone it down and think before she speaks. She can be extremely hurtful at times and the rest of us just cringe and don't want to be near her when she gets in one of her moods. It has been this way with her my whole life, but she is getting worse as she gets older. My boys do not want to ever be left alone with her for any extended period of time. Sometimes she can just be the nicest person and so much fun to be around and then change in a flash. Scary!
I'm going to be the sweet old lady, surounded by my many misfit cats, holding hands with my handsome hubby and playing with my grandkids!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too would like to grow old with grace and kindness. Life is too durn short to be angry at the world for one thing or another. I had a great-aunt Helen who always appeared to me as a bitter, angry woman. She seemed angry at the way life had turned out and how it had treated her, yet my mother and her brother and sister had wonderful childhood memories of all Aunt Helen and Uncle Gene did for them during their childhood years in the Depression. The Helen I knew seemed the exact opposite.

I had two wonderful examples from both my grandmothers on how to live life happily, gracefully, and kindly. While we may not be able to change everything, there are things we can do to live more gracefully.

Julie

:donut:

:pumpkin:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks Darlene. I'm having an emotional day over my Mom and you made me feel a little better. I know I'm blessed for having her this long - she's always been such a lady and I'm trying to help keep her dignity intact. I just don't know how much longer she'll be here.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I'd like to think that I'm growing old gracefully. I feel my spirit softening and even growing a bit sweeter with age (not to toot my own horn...but I've been a bit of a hardnose myself). I am a very happy person and looking on the bright side always brings more happiness than disappointment. I wouldn't go back in time 20 years if I could swap the body I had then for the person I am now. I'm actually at the happiest place in my life that I have ever been, heck getting old ain't so bad after all. Cj, where did we put those Roll-Aids?

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I'm 31 and I'm hoping to grow old gracefully but this is something I'm having to work at now. I would much rather grow old and be happy than old and be b*tchy. I have a temper,and a lot of times I don't think before I speak then it's like " Oh gosh..I shouldn't have said that!!" I want my kids to remember me as the mom everyone liked and all the kids gathered at MY house :D, the lady who would drop all for someone else and just happy all the time.
I don't want to be mad at the world and have people thinking i'm an old bitty!!!

I'm trying so hard right now to make my family get along. I couldn't tell you the last time I spent a holiday with my family (mom,dad,bro,sis) . And it saddens me because when I was younger,family meant everything. I just started this year to really get along with my sister and I LOVE having her in my life again!! There was about 5 years where we spoke maybe 5 times to each other! She now lives in the same town as I do and we see each other several times a week :D

Opps..I got off subject..sorry :shame:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts