Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added up all the little debit charges on my bank statement. I'm afraid to even type out the total. Drumroll please..................$300.00!!!!!!!!!!!! O.M.G.!!!!!!!!! This is NOT including all the cash DH has taken out of the bank. I don't know where it goes, so it could possibly be up to $400.00, and the month is only 1/2 over! I am in complete shock right now. $50.00 of it was taking my dad and stepmom out for dinner, but STILL!

What the heck is wrong with us?!?!?!?!?! :(

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I understand. Took DS and DDIL out over Easter holidays to the tune of 140.00. Then took DD and BF out for his birthday and another 120.00
I could have fed us for several weeks for that amount. I had to be crazy!!!!
So.....new goal is NO eating out the rest of the month for us.

·
27,948 Posts
Now that you see the troubling truth you can make some changes. You can do this! :thumb:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya!! I'm in the same boat right now. This was supposed to be my no spend month and we've spent about $80 on eating out...Its bad cause we really didn't have that $80 to begin with. Isnt just so frustrating that eating out is so convenient??

·
Registered
300 Posts
I totalled it up in Jan and it was astronomically high. It shocked me. So now I am doing an eat out fund, in an envie. When it is gone it is gone for the month.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
wow that sure is alot, now you know what things have to change, it's a goal you must set for yourself and have to stick to it. Our family hardly ever eats out, once in a blue moon we order chinese food to the tune of $15 but it feeds the 4 of us.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We struggle with the same thing. We both love to eat out, but the last two times eating out we have gotten bad meals and thought, I could have done this at home and it would have been good.
We ate out only those two times this month, breakfast after church cost of 32.00 for both times. But I can make omelettes and fry eggs at home. No more of that for us.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We are so guilty of this. I have tried to cut back during the week. We do spend a lot on Dunkin Donuts plus eating out.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I was scared to look at my total because we were just away, 4 days driving, plus takeout the day before we left and the day we got back. I just looked and we are already over budget for the YEAR! Guess I drastically underestimated the amount of eating out we do. Time for some changes around here as well.

And I don't know where all that cash my husband takes out goes either.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
We are definitely spending too much in this area too. Problem is when there is an Open House going on here we usually end up eating out because we have to be out of the house. I haven't been organized enough to pack a picnic lunch or something because it is all I can do to get the house in order! :loop: Feel like I'm standing on my head already! LOL

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
"The first step is admitting you have a problem..."

That is a lot of money spent on dining out. We don't spend anywhere near $300 in a year on dining out. We (dd and I) have been going out to lunch once every other week or so, but we spend $5.00 for the both of us. It is a challenge, but you can find cheap fast food meals if you know where to look. McDonald's and Wendy's both have "Value Menus" We always drink water instead of soda, and that really helps keep the price (and calories!) down. My favorite lunch at McDonald's is the Grilled Chicken Snack Wrap ($1.20) and the Yogurt and Fruit Parfait ($1.00). At Wendy's, it is the Sour Cream and Chive Baked Potato ($1.19) and Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger (.99).

Eating lunch out once in a while helps us feel not so "deprived", and it gets us out of the house (we homeschool).

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Okay for you statistic junkies heres something to chew on.
According to Resturant Magazine (the Mag that rest. owners read)
most American families eat at least half of their weekly meals out.
Thats figured on 3 meals a day on a 7 day week for a total of 27 meals which means 13 are eaten away from home. At an average cost of 12.00 per person. Do the math ITS Insane!
But then that explains why DH and I have a booked schedule throught the 1st of August. We paint nothing but resturants and have a waitng list of paint jobs. Now for the shocker we don't eat out but one meal a week thats Friday night for date night and we often go to a local Mom and Pop place. We will eat at a chain place if we've traded work for food coupons but I often save those for gifts.
Our society wonders why its in debt so bad. Way too many eat out on credit cards and don't cook at home. (My personal vent!)

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
264 Posts
We've really been working on this too. It's hard sometimes with DH schedule, so we just run out and get a quick bite to eat instead of me cooking. We don't do this a ton, but we don't really have too becuase it still adds up so quickly! We do have an eating out fund but you have to stick to it for it to work.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Wow Laurie that is really interesting stuff!

When we made the decision to get out of debt, I knew I could do the majority of it just by taking control of my kitchen and stopping the expense of eating out.

We used to go to 1/2 price burger nite at our favorite trendy neighborhood restaurant. We get an appetizer, couple of beers each, and a dessert to split. We would end up wrapping most of the burgers to take home, thinking it was a great deal, we even had lunch for the next day! But "1/2 price nite" would end up costing us $35 + tip! :scratch: Tuesday nites alone were costing us about $180 each month!!!! :huh:

Then one Tuesday night we stayed home. I cooked 'fun food' that night, just like we ate at the restaurant. Then I sat down on the computer, pulled up my credit card account, and made a payment online for the $40 we ~didn't spend~. I was hooked!! :fdance:

The most challenging part is probably taking control of the kitchen. Getting organized and getting a plan. I found LOTS of help here reading thru the kitchen threads. It takes time to get things set up to work comfortably, but now (less than 2 months into it) my husband is impressed with my organization and great meals, and my friends are making fun of the tight ship I run (while they eat their Lean Cuisines for lunch and pick up KFC for the kids at night).

·
Registered
261 Posts
We hardly ever eat out...just don't have the $$ for it. We have water bottles and snacks in both cars. We take lunches to work. Soup/stew is our main food...and leftovers from family and friends! haha

I know it would be so convienient to just go thru the drive thru...I can't think about it!! :lalala: hahahahaha

Our occasional "treat" out is Taco Bell (max of $10) or ice cream at McD's...I don't think this happens even once per month, though. Would add up too fast...

·
Registered
814 Posts
We used to be fast food/dining out JUNKIES!
We got really good about not going out when I got pregnant, but the last month and a half was a disaster..... not to mention the first month postpartum!
HOWEVER, now that I'm in somewhat of a routine and can conceivably prepare a meal each day, that's what I've been doing. ;) We've been mainly eating out of our pantry and freezers and only going out to buy milk and produce! It's been liberating to be able to see the bank account money STAYING put. lol Who knew it could do that!
We only get paid once a month, so the end of the month used to be SUPER tight - now it's not so bad! :)

I'd be horrified if I went back and looked at how much we spent eating out over that 2 1/2 - 3 month period.. YIKES!

It does help now having 2 kids (one of which is a fussy breastfed newborn) - I don't really WANT to go to all the effort to take him out! LOL

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
this is something we struggle with. dh wants to go out most of the time and i can't get him to see that we're paying too much for not so good food. i thought i had gotten through to him once when he updated quicken and made a pie chart that showed how much we were spending. but he quickly forgot that. :/
i'm trying to keep it to once a week when he's home on the weekends, and just the 4 of us, not us and the inlaws which quickly doubles the bill. heaven forbid if we get seperate checks. but that's another issue.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We seldom eat out, it's breakfast bar most likely when we do.It's a money pit for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Okay for you statistic junkies heres something to chew on.
According to Resturant Magazine (the Mag that rest. owners read)
most American families eat at least half of their weekly meals out.
Thats figured on 3 meals a day on a 7 day week for a total of 27 meals which means 13 are eaten away from home. At an average cost of 12.00 per person.
Thanks Laurie, this made me feel a lot better. Reminds me of how far we've come. We used to be one of those families. We might not be doing as well as I'd planned, but we're a heck of a lot better than we used to be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts