Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my, the children came running in here a this morning and found a baby racoon. There are no other babies around and no mamma. I know that a racoon is definitely not a pet and yet what did we do, got a bottle and fed her, she was shaking and starving. They even named her Ringer. My mind is telling me get rid of her fast and my heart is well, you know..............

Please tell me your thoughts.....what would you do??

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
As much as you want to keep her Heather, I would get rid of her. Somewhere is her mommy and probably other babies and they can do lots of damage, especially if you have chickens.

Can you call the Humane Society and see if they can come and get it?

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sara!:)

CJ, I know, I know....I really do......we were just telling the neighbour of our find and well, he got rid of the mamma and babies last night ~ they were in HIS barn!!! The mamma mustn't have moved this one yet so that's why it was still in our barn. This is the hard part of animals, you know the right thing to do but it breaks my heart....actually it's Delaney who is in love with this racoon.....she made him a card and wrote "To Ringer, I love you, what would I do without you! Love, Delaney" :weeping: I grew up on a farm and know all about losing dogs, cats, cows etc. but it is always difficult!! Anyhow, I have to figure out how to deal with this.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Heather, now I'm crying. Here's a hug for you and Delaney:hugz:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I can tell you I had one and thought it would be a pet......
It wasn't and I got hurt !!!!!!!!
Get rid of it !!!
They give viscous bites !!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm sure it will break Delaney's heart, but you know you have to get rid of it. Its cute now, but it IS a wild animal and it could hurt your precious babies. I wouldn't be able to kill it, though. I'd call the Humane Society or the Dept of Natural Resources. They both have programs to deal with things like this.

Good luck! I have two children who are very much like Delaney.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your concerns and thoughts. I do know what we have to do. :grouphug: I called the Humane Society and if you can believe for something like this the head office is 4 hours away!! I would have to take her there. I have called the Dept. Natural Resources/Wildlife and left a message so hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I would call wildlife Rescue Center or at least the Humane Society or even an Emergency Animal Hospital that can get you in contact with the nearest Wildlife Rescure Center.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts