Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever go to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore? Take a look: http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

We went yesterday, and I'm thrilled.

There were doors -- nice wooden ones; track light canisters; chandeliers; even some furniture. I forsee two things:

• an increased interest in home repairs
  • more visits to the restore

We got 4 alabaster wall sconces for the bedrooms. Similar to this one in size, color, and overall appearance. (but, of course, not identical, and it does have some surface scratches): http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_access_lighting_10510.cfm

But we paid $40 for each. $160 sounds like a chunk of change, but apparently the original price is considerably higher.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we have one here too, we go quite a bit

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too late to edit, but ...

Like all thrift stores, there was a fair amount of stuff that didn't look desireable. And their prices seemed high compared to some other thrifts.

But the selection was good.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Our Habitat store is pretty good, but here of late the people running it have been setting the prices higher and higher. The only things that are really good are the building supplies. We have bought a sink, a door, and other things from them. I do like to try to shop there for I really like what Habitat does for people.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We have one in town that DH likes to visit. We have great deals there and the money goes for such a terrific cause. :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Thanks for this info! :) They have quite a few in PA, dont know how close but wouldnt hurt taking a look, we have a place similar to this called Re-Place, it's a salvation army type thing that companies and the public donate stuff (furniture, sinks, cabinets, you name it!) and we can get stuff real cheap.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Oh- Im so excited. I had no idea they had HTH resale stores. I found one not far from me. My only question is why do they not use the donated things in the houses they build?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One just opened near us, and I can't wait to go. Our other shops really stink :(, so hoping for the best. Also, if I have donation items, they're gonna get 'em, I love what they do for the communities!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have donated several things to them over the years. It makes me feel good since most of it still has life left in it. They have gotten sinks, doors and paint. I would recommend people look at what they have when remodeling.

·
Registered
900 Posts
We have one near us, but I've only visited it once, I need to stop in again.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We have one where I live and I really like the Habitat Restore. I have only dropped stuff off and haven't really purchased anything there. It's definitely a place to go when I'm looking to purchase stuff.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We have 2 that are 45 minutes to an hour away. I just love going to them. My mind is racing a million miles a minute trying to think of ways to use some of the stuff. It is a wonderful place for all of us frugal babes to do some shopping. When I was there last time I got Mary Englebriet wallpaper border for a dollar a roll. If there is one close to any of you check it out. Remember it is a hit and miss anytime you go to it. :cents:

Monner :grnwave:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I stop into the nearest one (hour's drive) almost every time we go shopping. I just never know what I might find. They are not thrift store prices, but I still get bargains. Last time I got a high-quality stain, a new-in-box mailbox, and some cement blocks. I have gotten lumber, outlet plates, and all sorts of things.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ATL's got one too. Haven't been though in several years. They always have a hodge podge from plantation shutters to throw rugs to hardware. Thanks for the reminder. I'll make a visit soon.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We have one here that has alot of things. It is fun to poke around in it. My mind works overtime whenever I go in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts