Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go out to start my Nissan pick up yesterday am. Engine starts up and it sounds like a freakin' semi! I sat there stunned for a minute, turned the engine off and walked back into the house. Called my mechanic and relayed the situation. He said that is very weird but it should be ok to drive it down to their shop. He said but first, look underneath and make sure you're not dragging your muffler.

I went back out, got down on my hands and knees and took a gander. @$%&^#$!$#^ Several minutes of cursing ensued. I went back in the house and called him back - um, no it's not the muffler. Ugh. Drove the truck down there, sounding like a ghetto car all the way. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR CONVERTER!

New converter = $275. Alarm system = I dunno yet but I told my mechanic that I want the alarm system that will send 50k volts of electricity to any person touching my converter!

How do you prevent this type of thing? Besides obviously putting it in the garage, cuz' I don't have one.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
truthfully, you can't.
You do have an alternative... go without a converter, unless of course you have annual inspections.

And then you still have an alternative... buy a "cat", use it for inspections then remove it the rest of the time.

Caveat: I did not just tell you that. I will deny it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
you know what really sucks about this. You pay 275 for a new one they got 50-100 for your old one.

As it was at your house, can you home owner's insurance cover the cost?

you know a nice big rottweiler sounds like a really awesome pet right now, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Crime is up here, but that's crazy! Guess its not even safe to park your car/truck & expect it to be in the same condition when you return. Wonder if this sort of crime will become common place? Bet your kind of alarm system would stop the problem!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Possibly a motion sensor light. It may act as potential determent for thieves.

·
Registered
867 Posts
truthfully, you can't.
Especially in states that don't justify the use of force to protect property. Does your state / community have a victims reimbursement fund? Make sure to file the police report.

I wonder if the cat was stolen for a part or for metal recovery. Maybe ask your mechanic to ask around the other mechanics if they did any recent cat replacements with a customer provided used cat?

Sorry this happened to you. I'd be really steamed. Shoot, I'm a little steamed just thinking about this. :furious:

·
2,688 Posts
You need a few signs posted....

My hubby has 2 good ones inside on the garage wall.

"House guarded by shotgun 2 nights a week, you guess which two "
"Beware of flying objects...they might be bullets"

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some converters as scrap are selling for $180 so of course the thieves are going to steal them.My uncle told in the 50's his car had fender skirts which kept getting stolen at night.He put razor blades iunder them where they had to grab to pull off his car.The next morning there was blood on the ground and fender skirts were still on the car and never got stolen again.Probably if someone tried that now they would be sued by the theif.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Yeah, catalytic converter thefts are way up. The platinum and gold in certain models is worth a lot.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There's not much you can do about it now, so you can take solace in the fact that you have a decent enough life that you aren't resorting to stealing catalytic converters for a living.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Ah, mek42, the castle doctrine.....don't get me started on that one!

Jerry G, sorry to hear it happened, but you're right- time to get an alarm system/ maybe motion sensor lights- if they found you an easy target once, they may well be back.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Gees, jerryg, that sucks. Sorry to hear it happened.

I will say, that here they probably would have taken the whole vehicle! Our crime is crazy!!

I sort of like the razor blade thing.......would serve 'em right!

·
27,948 Posts
I'm with ya on the juice alarm Jerry, fry those stealing bums!
Pox on those losers :stir:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The same thing happened to me, except it was the sales team who stole mine off when I took it in for work. The get this: I go to autozone to purchase a new one and the guy gets the box, pulls out the new converter, and it was used! The person who bought it previously, bought a new converter, put the old one in, and exchanged it for their money at the store! LOL how is that?

Every car I by from now on will have an alarm.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I haven't had one of those stolen, but have had other items stolen, and the feeling is not good.

Someone in our area stole five converters from a local charity's vans recently.:down:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts