Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ham, Broccoli & Grits Casserole

Recipe Description
Originally got this recipe from Woman's Day magazine (i think) and tweaked. This is an inexpensive meal that our family enjoys for brunch or dinner. May serve as is or with a salad.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
4 cups lowfat milk
1/2 tsp salt & garlic powder
1 c uncooked grits
6 oz diced ham
16 oz frozen cut broccoli thawed and squeezed dry (or fresh, lightly cooked & drained)
1 c shredded cheddar (more for top)
1 small onion shredded
1 large egg​
Serves:
6​
Directions:
Heat oven to 350º
Lightly grease 2 qt baking dish.
Bring milk , salt & garlic powder to a boil in a 3qt saucepan & slowly whisk in grits.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 7 to 8 minutes until thickened.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended.
Pour into prepared dish.
Bake uncovered 15 minutes.
Sprinkle additional cheese on top and bake for 10-15 minutes more until bubbly. I love to cook it til it gets a little crisp around the edges.;)

Don't forget to have your favorite bottled hot sauce (Frank's) at the table, it really adds that special something.​

·
Registered
326 Posts
This sounds good! I haven't had grits since I lived for a short time in Florida, so this will be a good introduction for my kids. Most people I know here have never had grits in their life-I think it's a regional thing, don't you?

·
19,119 Posts
REally like the sound of this recipe - comfort food with a twist!! If I can find grits here, think I'll give it a try - mahalo!!

·
19,119 Posts
Was just thinking that if I cannot find grits, perhaps I can make this recipe with rice - in my rice cooker!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Go to the natural food section of the supermarket and get coarse ground corn meal. Or polenta. It takes longer than the usual quick or instant grits but you'll never want quick grits again!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like to cook it in an oblong dish and get the top golden & crispy.
Don't know about the fat/calories but I use ff milk and yes most of the calories are from the cheese. They are happy calories if that helps.;)

Grits are great for breakfast. Our kids loved them when you cooked them the night before (plain)& poured them into a greased loaf pan. Next morning you turn out the grits onto a cutting board, slice in slabs & fry til golden on both sides, being careful as you turn. Serve with maple syrup.
Don't forget to salt your grits, it's one of those foods that just needs it added while cooking.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
This sounds delicious, Thanks I will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quantities please~!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.