Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any soup recipes using hamburger? I've never made any, I would like too though! TIA:)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have a recipe at home - I'll try to post it tomorrow. It's a tomato based soup with hamburger & barley. It's very tasty!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Stuffed Pepper Soup

2 pounds ground beef
28 oz. can tomato sauce
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups chopped green pepper (about 2)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook all night on low setting, or put all ingredients in a large soup pot and simmer uncovered, for, 1 1/2 hours.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My mother in law would make this sometimes.........1 lb hamburger, 1 can mixed vegetables(undrained), 1 large can tomato soup w/1 can water...add to 1-2lbs of egg noodles...(measurements differ for family size).

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We make Taco Soup during the fall and winter.

Taco Soup

1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
1 lg onion, diced
1 package Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Dressing
1 package taco seasoning
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 can corn
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans navy beans
1 can green chilis (optional)

Cook onion with ground beef, drain and place in crock pot or stew pot. Add all the rest of the ingredients, do not drain any of the liquid from the cans, this will make the broth. If I am making this in the crockpot, I just dump it all in and let it cook for about 4 hours on low, it gives the ingredients time to meld. If I am doing it on the stove, I just let it simmer for an hour or so.

We serve this with corn chips and with shredded cheese as a garnish.

BTW, this dish freezes well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ooooh, katybird, your taco soup looks so much better than mine! I just brown a pound of hamburger, toss in a packet of taco seasoning and can of corn, tomatoes, and beans. Still good, but I think I'll try yours next!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here's my recipe

Hamburger Soup

1.5lbs ground turkey/ground beef, browned & crumbled
1 onion, chopped and sauteed with the meat
28oz can diced tomatoes (I puree them as my family prefers less texture)
2 cups water
three 10oz cans consumme (I substitute homemade beef broth, even if I only have bouillion with which to make it)
1 can tomato soup
4 carrots, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
8 Tbsp barley (1/4 cup)

Season to taste with oregano, garlic, salt, pepper &/or thyme. Simmer 2hrs on the stove or 4-6 hrs in crockpot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the great recipes

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a recipe for cabbage soup you could use hamburger in. I use the Morningstar Farms sausage flavored recipe crumbles -- some people use turkey sausage -- it just adds a little flavor but hamburger would be fine

http://geocities.com/quiltnart  It's in the recipes section.

I also tried a Cheeseburger soup recipe this week that is really tastey. I substituted whole wheat penne pasta for the potatoes and left out the sour cream. Found it here:  http://www.cheapcooking.com/Recipes/soupcheeseburger.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts