Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone hand hand piece their quilt top? I've never pieced anything haha.. but I have the basic knowledge I believe. I have helped my grandma piece tops that she would sew on a machine..

I've googled and such so I think I know what to do. Any experienced people out there?

·
19,119 Posts
I've hand pieced quilts - what in particular are you looking for?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you use just a basic running stitch?

do I use a hoop or just pin the pieces together?

I have heard that you shouldn't tie a knot if your pieces are coming to a point, as it will be too hard to sew the rest of the points to the first one..

how big of a seam allowance do you use?

that is all I can think of at the moment... haha!

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
It's just a running stitch. You can tie a knot at the end of the seam, just leave a little space for the seam allowance for the next piece. If you are using 1/4" seams, leave 1/4". You can pin pieces or just hold them if they are small enough.

The hoop is for quilting later.

I did some hand piecing, but I haven't got the time for it anymore.

Reactions: chevy_chick95

·
19,119 Posts
The first quilt I ever made (1968) I did entirely by hand. No pining, just held the pieces together. I used a backstitch to lock the pieces together. That quilt is still in all the time use, so I guess that type of stitch worked!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.