Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paid off store credit card #2. That's 2 in 2 months!!! The next bill will be paid in 2 months. After that it will take a bit longer, but we're so happy to see these going away.

Two weeks ago, we sold a vehicle. We are saving that money for our trip in a few months. Ds is graduating from one of his training classes in the Navy. It's really a big deal for this one, or we wouldn't go. He still has 3 more after this, but they aren't as important as this one. We are also saving for a possible wedding later in the year.

We will be paying off a couple more really high interest cards, or I guess I should say, transferring the balances to a lower interest card. This was Dh's idea. He's really on board with getting this debt paid off. He's says he won't buy anything on credit (amazon) unless we have the cash to pay it off immediately!!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Way to go! Since you are both on board and so motivated, I think transferring debt to a lower interest rate card is a good idea. You will get traction faster that way.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Congratulations! You're going strong! :vs_box:

Reactions: nannyd

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Way to go! Your on a roll! Congrats :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paid off store card #3 today!!! Making progress. It seems like we're not getting anywhere fast, but we've had some major events recently and a few more to come. Ds graduated from his Navy training. We took a trip to see him graduate. We paid cash for the trip!!! He's getting married next month and had to buy plane tickets, hotel, etc. We still owe about $350 on the plane tickets. We do have that amount saved and could pay it right now, but we are waiting, because we are having a reception here for them next month. We'd like to pay cash for that and have money to pay our taxes at the end of the year so we don't have to pay penalties, like we have in the past. I know we will have to pay interest, but it will be less than the penalties. We are trying to watch our budget so we can pay everything. We've really been researching and shopping around to find the best deals to keep costs down. This payday is like an extra paycheck for us too!

For sure, January 1st we will be getting very serious about getting this debt out of here. I think I've convinced dh to stop his 401k for a bit so it can help pay off the debt. We are hoping to refi our house too. We were afraid our house wouldn't appraise high enough, but one house has sold for higher than we need and there are two more for sale that are a lot higher. We bought some paint to spruce up the front and we'll declutter a bit and hopefully it will appraise for what we need it too. That extra will also go to debt. Then we'll be going full steam ahead!!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We almost have the refi on the house which will save us just under $200/month. That will go to debt. Dh will keep his minimum 401K/company match. He's getting too close to retirement to stop. We want to have something saved. We found a paystub with no overtime and we will live on that much each month. We'll make it work. All overtime will go to debt. In May we update our insurance through dh's work and we'll go back to the HSA plan. We both had some major testing done this year and needed the more expensive insurance to cover it. Since we both seem to be in good health, we'll go back to the HSA/company contributes $750 to it and may be able to save more with that too.

Ds got married and we have a reception planned at the end of the month for them. We saved dh's bonus for that. We should have enough left over to pay all our taxes and pay some more to debt plus have some saved. Tax return next year should be all ours instead of going to taxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts