Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!

Ok so I am moving out of my parents basement a week from Sunday, and I have kinda neglected the toilet for awhile.... :censor:

so I have built up some awfully beautiful hard water stains in there... I want to fix this before I leave for my mommy, but I cant seem to scrub them off, or comet them enough, any helpful tips? home remedies?

thx!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Go to Albertson's and look on the cleaning aisle by the rubber gloves. There's a little scrubby called Hanna's Helper. Kind of looks like a square piece of window screen! Works great on hard water deposits! And cheap!! You may need a few of them...they are about 1.00 each!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You can get The Works toilet cleaner it is very good for hard water deposits I use it and love the stuff you can get it at any store or even the $ store. You can also get a stone with a handle for porceiln it's like a buffer willl clean the hard water stains too.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I've even used razor blades.
Works great, just be careful to not scratch the toilet.

oh, and be careful!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
forgot about CLR. used to use it all the time when we lived in our other home that had well/septic system. works like a charm! but so do rustout and lime away.

i would CLR it first, then hit it with "The Works" toilet cleaner

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Nothing in my opinion works better than Kaboom..Sorry no home remedies that I know of will clean the kind of buildup your taliking about.. Good girl not leaving it for your mom!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing in my opinion works better than Kaboom..Sorry no home remedies that I know of will clean the kind of buildup your taliking about.. Good girl not leaving it for your mom!
lol Im just waiting for her to see it!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
If none of the above mentioned works.........look for a pumice stone but it CAN BE hard on the porcelain. Would try the others first.........this is for a 'last resort'..........

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I vote for CLR and/or Kaboom after. If using Kaboom - turn on the fan and open all windows...the only downfall was the super strong smell!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Maybe if you push the water out with the toilet brush, then line the bowl with tp, then carefully pour strong vinegar over that and leave for a few hours. You may have to repeat it several times.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
the vinegar will stil leave stains.

i would not recommend using a razor blade or pumice as previously suggested. you may end up dong more damage and also, the finish will then be off and the stains will only get worse on the porcelain.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I always use a pumice stone on my hard water stains, never have a problem with it scratching the porcelain. You can use very fine grit sand paper too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts