Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for any holiday, who is the hardest person to buy for & why?

in my family, i am. i get reminded of it often.

i never "want" anything (i just dont have "wants" when my needs are taken care of) & i dont like the "typical" gifts ppl tend give - so my list ends up being cleaning supplies, a new iron or broom, a book maybe. a "big" gift for me would be a sweater or a nice dress. lol being in a family of guys, they dont really get it. i guess, neither do i. (how do you find something you want, when there's really nothing you want?!?) lol
(let's not discuss that i get the award for world's worst gift giver too!) lol

your turn :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I guess you could say I am too! I give awesome gifts, but I never have a list for myself!! I just cant think of anything I want that I dont already have!!
Besides, Christmas, for me, is for celebrating Christ's birth and celebrating my family, so long as they are here with me I am good!!!

Although this season I did actually come up with one thing I did want, and now hubby and Mom are trying to figure out how each of them is spose to buy me the same thing!!!!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have to say the hardest person in my family to buy for would be my aunt. Last year she was having feet/back/body pain so I went out and bought her a foot massager and body massager. Did she use it? No! She gave it to my mom to use. So this year I bought her a framed painting from a local artist of a Unicorn surrounded by all different colors of butterflies.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My DD16 is very hard to buy for. She is very picky. Most things she likes are very expensive and she has forbidden me to buy any clothes for her. The only clothes I can buy her are pajamas because her friends won't see her in them. She has even told me not to buy her socks and underwear because she didn't like the ones I bought one year. I don't like to just give her money or gift cards so I have a hard time thinking of things.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My mom is pretty hard. What do you buy the person who has everything? If she deosn't already have it she has the money to go out and buy it four times over.

My step-mom is pretty hard as well. She is from the country (I do not like the country at all) and her tastes are very different from mine. Don't get me wrong, I love her dearly. She has a heart of gold. I just cannot relate to her in a way that makes buying for her easy. We are from two different worlds. For her birthday I was at such a loss as to what to give her I ended up just buying her a floral arrangement in a beautiful vase with a card. For Christmas this year I am secretly taking her grandkids, having a portrait made of them and having it framed. She may actually like this gift, at least I hope so.

·
4,028 Posts
My older brother... he be the debil to buy for. He enjoys photography and rock hunting but that's about it. For his birthday I ended up getting him ink cartridges for his printer since he doesn't "need" or "want" anything. *sigh*

·
Registered
688 Posts
My Dad and Bro-in-law are awful to try to buy for. They have everything that they need. This year they will probably get a gift card from me because I am having such a hard time getting them to tell me what they want!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My Dh, never wants anything, not really any hobbies or anything. He needs new slippers so I think it will be that (he needs a special kind) and a new robe.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
My MIL.

She is rich, she has everything, and I don't dare ask her what she wants, cause she'll send me on an online goose-chase for something very bizarre that she'll just return after the holidays. I've been doing this 'dance' with her since 1973. Ugh.

I avoid buying her clothes, because she thinks she's a small when she's at least a large, if not X lg. Then she's insulted when she opens them.

If they fit, she'll have me alter them in some way, because I can sew, and then after all that, she'll never wear them. :furious: Plus she acts as though Christmas is just ALL about her, and never even notices all of her grandkiddies and what they got. And she gets them really lame presents. She gave my younger SON a cabbage patch tent for his bed when he was little. Pink, with doll pix on it. I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My hardest to buy for is my mother in law. No matter what you get she finds fault with it, to big, to little, not the right color, not the right kind. She has even went so far as to tell me what she did want, when I got it for her she then changed her mind! I have finally started giving her candy that I know she likes, with a new candy jar each year and a poinsettia for Christmas and fresh flowers for her birthday. Then she bitches about that as she doesn't want to have a plant to care for.......I even tried a gift card and she hated that as she didn't want to go shop!what do you get someone that hates everything you give them!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Definitely the hardest people to buy for are my parents.
They can buy anything they want or need and they buy the best of everything -
always.
Their motto is - if it isn't Brand A, then it isn't worth buying.

I have always gone out of my way to buy them nice things that I think they would/could use want/need.
Nowadays I don't go to a lot of trouble or expense for one reason.

A few years ago I went home for a few days and I had to find somewhere to put my clothes. In the guest room I opened a cupboard and found every single gift that I had ever sent them still in the packaging.

Nowadays I buy them DVD's or CD's that I think they will like and leave it at that.

Regarding gifts for all of us, they send a card with money in it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My father, he has every tool you can think of and since he wears workmens clothes and likes only certain shirts, you could pull your hair out. This is a man who has worn nothing but Dickies Navy blue pants for 60 years, last year he bought his first tan pair of Dickies.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My father, he has every tool you can think of and since he wears workmens clothes and likes only certain shirts, you could pull your hair out. This is a man who has worn nothing but Dickies Navy blue pants for 60 years, last year he bought his first tan pair of Dickies.
Your father sounds a lot like me. DW came home with a pair of black Dickies and I freaked. For Christmas, I buy my own tools and give them for people to give me back. Tools are serious business.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
My dad...he has 5 of everything he could need or want....if he comes up with something new or different, he goes out and gets it himself.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I am impossible to buy for and I ask for things like flannel sheets or towels. It drives my family crazy.

If someone is hard to buy for, I get them a gift card to a favorite restaurant.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I really only buy for my immediate family (hubby and kids) for the moms and dads I send photos. We have one set of family members living in town and we exchange gifts with them but that's pretty much it. Our families have just gotten too huge to make it work anymore! Dh says I'm difficult and maybe I am but I am one of those weird people that doesn't get offended by gift cards. I much prefer to buy my own clothes and hobby/decorating supplies. I know that's not much fun for the giver, but I guess I do have pretty specific likes and dislikes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speaking as a grandmother I can agree photos are a good choice. I enjoy having family pictures around but my daughter always goes and buys other costly things. I really do like photos!
OliveOyl

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Fixer, my dads a hoot at times. Oh he is a tool man, if we don't have it I know he does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts