Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a ballpark figure on cost for this? We have hardwood all downstairs, except for the bathroom & living room. At some point we're going to put it down in the living room, but we also want to get the other room's floors refinished.

TIA :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We got a price for about 1000 square feet of over $2.500.00. SOOOO
DH has gone to Home Depot and checked on renting a floor sander $75.00 for a weekend. We're gonna do it ourselves in November when it cools off and we can open up the place. The staining will be very smelly.
DH questioned the guys doing the last Cracker Barrel giftshop floor and got lots of helpful advise. The dusty mess and waiting periods seem to be the two biggest items.
Will update you on how it turns out. We're going from a honey oak to a slightly darker color. DH is really good at staining so I'm not too worried.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
439 Posts
I helped my mom do the same thing- I don't know how much it cost to rent the sander though. I think it was around $40 for a day or two. It really wasn't a big deal at all, in fact I enjoyed it. It got a little tough at times, as there was something wrong with the sander platen so I had to lean on it a little to get it to sand better, and the floor had been under carpet for over 30 years (longer than I've been on top of the carpet, I guess) and had various stains and old fade marks from the sun. It looks gorgeous now!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
We refinished a floor ourselves as well. The floor sander and edge sander rentals were much cheaper - couple hundred in total as I recall. Of course, a PRO would have gotten a slightly smoother finished product than I got (you can see the ocean for all the waves in our floor) but for a 68 year old floor, we were very satisfied with our DIY work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts