Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the ones in the link? you use contact paper to put your design on them then paint adn splatter them? i tried this weekend and made such a mess. the paint peeled off, and the stencil didn't come off real easy. any ideas?
i was wondering if i didn't let the paint dry well enough. it felt dry, but who knows, the link is in the bead work i think, under recycled baby food jars.

thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd been thinking of doing some painting on glass for gifts...
just because a few months ago at a craft group at the local library one of the ladies brought some pieces in that she had done & explained the process.
she used just some paint (acrylic maybe?) , then somehow (on very low heat) cures the painted pieces of glass in the oven. I can't remember exact details, but will post if I get to the project myself. I wanted to do some wine glasses to give with a bottle of wine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are special paints for glass that you cure in the oven. Then you can wash the object and the paint stays put. I have painted on glass with acrylic paints but then you can't wash the item. HTH

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Spray paint works well on glass with stencils, acrylics will always peel off. Glass paints are a bit difficult to master as they tend to be thin and runny.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was wondering about spray paint, if i use it as a base will the other paint stick to it?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've painted the glass jars and basecoated them with house paint first and then the acrylic will stick. I've had good luck with it sticking on spray paint too, but not the enamal spray paint. I've given these for gifts to friends who are still using them. I free hand my stuff so I've never used the contact paper.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, maybe i will try it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts