Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mushrooms???????? Any kind..........store bought........or fresh picked?

What is your "system" for doing it?

I was talking to my neighbor and he said his mom used to freeze mushrooms all the time.............fresh picked. He said she just blanched them for about 30 seconds or so.............just to 'wash them off'..........and then froze.

Mine would be store bought.........

I am not overly fond of the dehydrated mushrooms...........and thought I would try this. I don't like how the dehydrated ones 're-hydrate'........they DON'T........and are too "chewy" for me.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I haven't had any luck with freezing fresh mushrooms - blanched or not. They're full of water and they get mushy when thawed SO if youre using it in a sauce then I think it would work.

I have frozen a gravy/sauce type thing that had a lot of mushrooms in it and it thawed fine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I slice them first, then freeze them. No blanching, just straight into a freezer bag. I use them in stir-fries or saute them with onions when we have steak--dishes that it doesn't really matter what they look like. :laugh:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had any luck with freezing fresh mushrooms - blanched or not. They're full of water and they get mushy when thawed SO if youre using it in a sauce then I think it would work.
THANKS all.........for the thoughts/comments.

Guess I had best just do a 'little bag' first to see if I like them...........I would be just cooking with them after so 'mushy' could pass......better than the "chewy" I got from re-hydrating........nothing like mushroom JERKY in a spaghetti sauce!! :laugh:

Just have to give this a try........now that I have more freezer room I can try things that I didn't have room to do before......:tay:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts