Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need a website before I go to this upcoming festival and I thought I could figure it out. That was a pipe dream because I can't seem to figure anything out. I have earthlink so we get free web space, but I can't load any pics for some reason. I also registered for gobot, but it only has templates and they don't quite give me what I need. Any suggestions. This is really frustrating me. I need a home page with a little about me and then pages for dresses, tops, bags, kids clothes and I wnat to use the paypal shopping cart system. I feel so clueless I hope someone can help me out. Thanks for reading my desperate plea everyone

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I made a huge site when we sold fishing tackle and duck decoys a couple years back. I had an online catalog and everything. Its alot of work, but worth it to get your name out.

What exactly do you need to know?
You will need an FTP program to upload your photos to your site. You can download those for free. I used FTP Pro, I believe.
Do you know HTML? I went out and bought a few books on HTML... now they just sit in a drawer, but they helped at the time. You'll have to upload your pics then add the html links to them on your pages.
You'll need an HTML editor as well, to build your pages. I just used Notepad most of the time... but you need to know major HTML for that. There are alot of programs out there though. Some are WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get)... those you don't need HTML, you just go by what you see and it produces the HTML code for you. Its still nice to know some HTML though, you can configure it a little more with HTML.

Let me know what else you need to know. I'll try to help all I can.

I'm not familiar with Pay Pal's shopping cart, but it shouldn';t be all that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Oh your making me miss working on that web site. lol

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a free version of coffe cup html editor downloaded and it is really easy. I am doing a search to find out what the heck an FTP is. See I tod you I am relly clueless. BTW IF you have a book that might help me out I have some paypal.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Let me dig em out... I know I have at least 2, maybe 3. And I'm not using them!

Yeah... FTP is the program you use to upload things to your website. You pages will all be saved then uploaded, along with each photo, graphic, and picture you use on the pages. Anytime you edit or add to your pages, you will need to reupload them to the server so people will get an up to date page when they go to your site.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sherry you are so much help. Thank you Thank you.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sherry I downlaoded ftp pro now I am even more confused.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
lol... its ok. You have to add your server in there so you can connect to it. You'll need you login and password.

BTW you have a PM.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I made a site on bravenet. Most hosts, like Yahoo, won't let you do sites for profit, but bravenet will. You can change the colors and rearrange the templates if you like. Photos are uploaded from your hard drive.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Sounds like Angelfire and some of the other free site places out there... they may be ok... I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
if u guy hurry , u cang print free lessons in html,javascrip from my teacher..address is

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I have a site at bravenet but it is blank because I do not get it. They have templates, but nothing that I really like. I also downloaded a template, but I have no idea how to use it. This is sooooo frustrating I might just throw the computer and forget about it all!!!! I am wasting all this time when I need to be sewing, but I was hoping to pass out coupons for my web site at the festival.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it's any help, there are some great online resources. I use Google for most of my searches. Type in HTML tutorial and you will find tons of them out there...for the beginner on up.
I built a homepage on www.angelfire.com. I don't know if they let people do for profit pages, but you can always check it out. You can build a page with them as a beginner, with lots of help. As you become more proficient, you can convert it to HTML. Hope this helps.
Sheila:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts