Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A woman at my knitting group has been learning, and she brought it all types of fibers that she's spinning into yarn. It seems so neat but also pretty labor intense too. It's probably relaxing (and rewarding!) to do, but I guess if I were going to go to all that trouble, I'd want to know that I could do something awesome with it. I'm not good enough at knitting yet where I'd feel confident in that LOL

Anyway, I found a hand spinning site that has tons of information and videos. I'm sure I'll try it someday, and it might even be something fun to do with my mother, who is an expert knitter (even if she doesn't agree with that statement ;))

The Joy of Handspinning: The Web Site For Handspinners

·
4,028 Posts
Thank you for the link. I didn't get to explore all of it yet but I will soon. I've tried spinning the fur from the long hair dogs when I'm bored, it hasn't worked out to well for me just yet though.

I love the idea of carding and using a spindle and I wish I had more time to learn such a great skill.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
with a drop spindle?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I use a drop spindle. . .no room or money for a spinning wheel.

I spin fibers from angora rabbits, from my neighbor's sheep and alpaca's. . . (he gives me what he can't sell - small bits, 2nds, etc.) I've spun dog fur. .. but the stench of the items when they are made up, and get wet. . . EWWW.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Have watched someone do this. Also have watched someone with different types of spinning wheels. Always makes me want to go out and buy a spindle or wheel. Have a nice semi-long haired cat that I keep thinking I should spin her hair. She is indoors so stink is not a factor.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've used a drop spindle and a spinning wheel. Either way, it's too much like work. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts