Frugal Village Forums banner

Has anyone ever packed 5 days worth of stuff in JUST a carry on bag?

5K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
If you did, what did you pack? Since checked bags cost anywhere from 25 to 35 $ I want to travel to Boston with only a carry on...and my purse...what should I take? This is my list:

3 pairs light weight pants
3 light weight tops
3 each of quich drying socks, panties, and bras so I can do a bit of laundry in the sink.
1 coat
2 pairs PJs

Tolietries:

shampoo + conditioner sheets
laundry soap sheets
body wash sheets
travel sized toothbrush and paste
2 oz lotion(that works double duty on face and body)
shaver(is this allowed)
solid perfume
solid deodorant
lip balm
dirty laundry bag

See less See more
#2 ·
That seems very reasonable. shaver is allowed. as long as it's a disposable kind. Not the kind that has a loose razor with it.

It's a bit chilly in Boston right now - mid to high 60's was the highest it's been so far. Don't know when you're coming here but if in May - it will be warmer still highs in the 70's. If in June - highs on the 80's.

Most hotels have laundry service - but I've worn my clothes several days in a row without an issue. Maybe tops and defnitely the underwear will need to be washed if sweaty.

Can I buy you a cup of coffee when you come visit? what is your purpose to come to Boston?

#4 ·
Are you staying at a hotel? They will provide shampoo and soap and that type of thing, most likely.

Do you need four pairs of pants? (I assume you'll be wearing one outfit.) For a five day trip, we would take one pair and wear a pair. Dark colors are your friend!

Wear your coat so you don't have to put it in a bag. Better yet, dress in layers so you don't need a coat at all.

Can you rinse out undies in shampoo and save packing detergents and all that? You would need very little for small items in the sink. I'm of the belief that soap is soap and there's not a lot of difference between various types. Don't forget a hairbrush and any meds you might need. I heard meds need to be in original containers.

Can you wear one set of jammies for the whole trip? Or take one pair of jammy pants and two shirts? Or no pants and sleep in undies? Short sleeve jammies take less space than long sleeve, ditto for short vs. long pants.

Folded socks take less room than turning them inside each other in a bundle.

Use plastic bags for dirty laundry. They take no space and weigh nothing, and if they get icky, you can just toss them.

We also have to pack light for our vacations. I can easily pack for a two-week trip in a medium size duffel, planning on doing laundry halfway through. We're camping, so it's less of a big deal if our jeans are a little messy than if we were attending business meetings or something where we had to care what we looked like, of course. For an eight day trip, we usually pack one shirt per day, one pair underwear per day plus one, one pair jeans per four days, one pair socks per day plus one. We have sweatshirts on board, so no need to pack them, but we usually wear a jacket. The sweatshirts are because it's not unusual for us to forget jackets, and being cold while camping is miserable.

Have a great trip.

#6 ·
Hmmm...maybe I can make do with 2 pairs of dark Capri pants that modal fabric I think is light weight...forgot the hair brush and hair clips so thank you...may be I should just use the hotel items so I wouldn't really need to pack shampoo,conditioner,bar soap or lotion...I wear those seamless undies...that are easy to wash and dry in under 4 hours...I'm feeling pretty confident about only taking a carry on lol.

#10 ·
I always travel with just a carry on bag. I hate having to keep track of a large bag, and pay the extra costs. I echo the advice given here; it's what I would do.

#15 ·
I always travel with just a carry on bag. .
Me too. IMHO.......the amt. of clothes is too much for just 5 days...........rethink, readjust, repack.

All of my trips have only been a carry on..............including 3 mos. (with possibility of 6---which it was) in Costa Rica.

Only time I had to check a bag is coming home from New Zealand...........they told me the carry on was too heavy..........would hurt someone if it fell out of the overhead..........:laugh: (I had to buy SNOW BOOTS while there.......that was the xtra weight!)

#12 ·
Make sure what you're packing complies with both of these sites. I suggest both b/c you are going through a Canadian screening to get to your destination and a US one to return home.

What to pack - Canadian Air Transport Security Authority

Traveler Information | Transportation Security Administration

If I am recalling correctly, you're traveling in the fall? I'd suggest bringing 1 jean & 1 capri IF the weather is still warm enough. Also don't forget to bring pieces that can be gussied/dolled up with accessories and a change of shoes should you decide to go out at night.

When I travel, my fall/winter coat consists of a 3 in 1 jacket (fleece + shell that can be worn as separates or together to be warmer) I usually wear my fleece as my main 'hoody' and carry the shell with me.

Also items to consider that I didn't see you mention:
* a scarf (not the knit type to go with the winter toque but more like a pashmina/thin material type scarf that you could use as a shawl if needed)
* 3-in-1 shampoo/body wash/bubble bath product - if they work for you and you like the scent. DH & I like/use this one when we travel b/c its effective yet gentle enough. Belcam - Belcam Bath Therapy Kid I think they're sold at Loblaw's/Superstore and WalMart?

Tip: If you're a small purse type carrier, use your purse in your carry on as a tote. Of course, anything you put inside should be placed into a plastic bag/ziploc first to protect the interior of your purse. Then use a larger purse/tote bag as your 'purse' to carry on as well to house your items - passport, wallet, phone, snacks, water purchased after you've cleared security, entertainment - camera, ipod, phone etc This way one bag can go overhead and one can be at your feet for easy access. I have never felt comfortable putting my purse overhead as anyone can go up there to 'get their stuff'.

#13 ·
5 days? No problem! Your list seems reasonable enough.

I cannot stomach most hotel toiletries so I have a wee travel kit with a set of refillable bottles that I use (it's small enough that it can fit in my purse). However, I don't stress if I've missed something. I've never had difficulty locating a nearby drugstore, even when traipsing all over Europe. I prefer skirts and dresses instead of pants. I find them more comfortable and versatile. Plus, tights or leggings can be easily hand washed in the sink, line dried and ready to wear the next morning. Add a few lightweight tops and cardigans for layering and I'm good to go. I also don't leave the house without a fabulous, generously sized, flowy scarf that goes well with everything I've packed (Target and TJ Maxx have a great selection of inexpensive options). My scarves have served a zillion purposes while traveling.

12 Reasons to always pack a scarf

#14 ·
Oh thank you everyone...I thought of wearing a maxi dress with small sleeves and capri leggings underneath for the travel days so that is one outfit to be worn two days...the capris I can wear with a light weight tunic(like to keep my bum and tummy covered with hip length tops) and then just a couple tank tops to be worn under my coat with one more pair of dark pants...kind of liking this as a challenge...think a person could do 7 days in Maui with a carryon? Hmmm wonder if I could.

#16 ·
I just got back from a 5 day road trip.

I always travel with a single carryon size bag, even before they started charging for luggage. My theory is that if I can't carry ALL my luggage and run through the airport with it, I packed too much.

For 5 days I would take 3 shirts (including the one I was wearing) and a long sleeve shirt, and another shirt I could wear over that or a sweater. 5 pair of socks and undies, 1 nightgown. I wear the single pair of jeans, but if I wanted a skirt or pair of light slacks it would fit.

My toiletries bag is about 8x10x3 and holds everything I might need. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, antacid, Tylenol, diarreah medicine, cotton swabs, hand wipes, mouthwash, antibacterial ointment, feminine articles, nail clipper, nail file, sewing kit, comb, hair clips, nail brush.... It is constantly packed and ready to roll, and it fits inside my carryon suitcase.

#18 ·
Good points everyone! I was going to add - and FF beat me to it- that is you have five days worth - that can be multiplied into any number of days.

Yes, your trip to Maui will require much less than to Boston! Life is very casual here. The only challenge will be in transporting whatever you buy here! :)

I am planning a trip to Boston. I. The fall and would love to see those of you who live in the area!

#19 ·
One thing that I planned for this last four day trip to Oahu was a haircut as soon as I arrived= no need to wash hair during the whole time. Yes I am fortunate that the hair salon I'd owned by my DSIL; she does great work and I have natural curls!

#21 ·
Things I bring back from my trips are small...or thin...like books and magnets.

I think sundresses and bathings suits would be perfect for Maui...our condo has laundry on site...so maybe 4 dresses, 4 undies, flip flops(2 incase one breaks),2 swimsuits, and a hat...

#22 ·
I would pack at least one nice outfit for a trip to Hawaii. Maybe just a light top to go over the sundress and a real pair of shoes, in case we went to a nice restaurant.

#24 ·
This topic really intrigues me. DH and I are going to Las Vegas in July for a week, then I am continuing on to SLC for a conference for four more days. I was looking at a rolling bag that DH had purchased for college. My goal is to use that for my vacation needs as a carryon. I know that I will be getting a lot of material at the conference, so will ask DH to bring an extra suitcase with him (We are starting from different islands and he gets free luggage).

Think I will figure it out, pack it up and then use it for a week and see how it goes. And I shall be using all the tips from this thread!

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#27 ·
Mahalo for the links - especially love the Vivienne Files.. She shows a cascading front jacket from DKNY which I love - in fact I just picked up a pattern for it and am planning on making it for my trip. I found a long patterned skirt at Kohl's last wheel - love it too. I have the perfect top for it, plus it can be worn as a dress. Need to choose some jewelry too. Love how this is all coming together!

Reactions: oheoh's momma
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.