Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard numerous people just rave about this author. I was at a library sale and talking to this gal that handed me his book and, since we had agreed on many other authors, she just knew I would like it. Am about halfway through it and hoping it gets a 'little more intriguing' soon.

He is very popular and has written lots of books.

I am reading Stone Cold by David Baldacci and having a bit of trouble getting into it. Anyone else read him? Like his books? Did you read and like this one? Are the others different?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I started The Christmas Train, but never finished it. I'm sure its a good book, but I couldn't get into it (sort slow IMO). Maybe read 150 pages & decided I had too many holiday things to do instead since it was late November. I still have it on my bookshelf, just in case. Perhaps someone can recommend other titles by David Baldacci.

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh..thank you. It is rare that I just do not like an author but I will finish this one and put this author on my 'forget it' list. PD James was another author that I didn't care for but I have a 'nurse' cousin and she just love her. Too much 'fine detail' for me.
Only reason I will finish this is that I want to see how these stories come together at the end.........if they do. Usually have a book done by now.....could be reading this for another week!!!

·
19,119 Posts
Oh..thank you. It is rare that I just do not like an author but I will finish this one and put this author on my 'forget it' list. PD James was another author that I didn't care for but I have a 'nurse' cousin and she just love her. Too much 'fine detail' for me.
Only reason I will finish this is that I want to see how these stories come together at the end.........if they do. Usually have a book done by now.....could be reading this for another week!!!
Frugal Franny - I admire the fact that you're willing to finish the book to see how it comes together!! I always thought - for some weird reason- that I had to finish every book I started. When I was in my 40's I gave myself permission not to do that anymore. Sure felt weird at first, but then I realized that it does work. Doesn't happen too often11

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frugal Franny - I admire the fact that you're willing to finish the book to see how it comes together!! I always thought - for some weird reason- that I had to finish every book I started. When I was in my 40's I gave myself permission not to do that anymore. Sure felt weird at first, but then I realized that it does work. Doesn't happen too often11
Oh no maui.....there is just something about this book that, while I am not 'real into it', I can't even fathom how it will all come together so have to finish it. :ponder: Maybe that was his plan when writing it???!!
I don't hesitate to drop a book.....have dropped two of Grisham's books (one was Bleachers) and I read and really liked all of his early stuff. He is now on my 'do not bother' list.

It DID take me awhile to learn this though. Finally got a grip on it in the last......say.......5-8 years. Can't waste the time....have too many I want to read!

·
Registered
333 Posts
do you remember if you liked them? were they hard to get into? just curious......

have heard people rave about Absolute Power too......
I did like them both very much. Absolute Power was later made into a movie with Clint Eastwood. The book was SO much better than the movie. Like I said I haven't read any since these, but I think the story telling and character development was excellent.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
In general, my hubby likes his books better than I do. I did really enjoy Absolute Power, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts