Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to our local tailgate food give-away this morning and got 4 clear boxes of mini bananas. They are sooo cute! LOL. And still so green! So, I will set them aside for a couple of days until they ripen up a bit. I've never had the mini bananas before, so I am anxious to try them.

Reactions: Momma_Bailey

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Aren't they cute? I buy them when they're on the reduced produce stand. They taste just like the big ones, but tend to ripen very quickly in my experience.

Reactions: Momma_Bailey

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We have had them before. If you wait to eat them till the skin starts to get speckled they will have a much sweeter taste. If you eat them to early they will taste quite bitter.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I used to buy them when th ekids were small,perfect size for little hands,they are more expensive than big ones
I found them creamier,really nice
Enjoy your bananas

·
Registered
134 Posts
much more flavor then the larger bananas. yes, wait for them to speckle before eating because the aren't ripe when just yellow.

Great size for little one's to eat.

I love baking with them.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I've never had mini bananas. If I ever see them on the reduced rack at the grocery store I'll pick some up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like to buy them when they are on sale. they are sweeter and creamier than regular bananas but they did seem. If they start to get over-ripe they make a great base for making ice cream.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've had the mini bananas and yes I ike them better than the regular size ones. I think they would make excellent banana bread as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going post the same thing as The Muse and say they really do ripen VERY quickly! I stopped buying them because my little one (who was age 2 at the time) could not eat them quick enough!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Never saw them, but I imagine that once you skin them and take the bone out...you won't have anything left! :wink:

But seriously, do they have a thin skin??? If they don't and have a regular banana skin, your waste will be higher (you'll throw out a higher percentage than what you will eat compared to regular bananas.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
They arre perfect size to have as a snack.

I find the skins to be fairly thin.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Have never bought them as they are always about twice the price as reg. bananas in my area.

I always buy the smaller 'reg' bananas........more flavor. (was told this by Chiquita workers....and I agree)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I get them for fairly reasonable cost at the Mexican market, but they are more expensive. When my husband is not feeling well, the cuteness of these sometimes gets him to eat a few.

There are so many varieties of bananas, and we really don't get them here. I spent a summer in Brazil when I was young, and it was a real eye opener on the varieties of bananas that other routinely get!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never tried them but i see peopel walking around with them at the place i work. They DO look good, perhaps i will try them:fdance:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts