Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a family of 3. DD is currently 1.5 years old and we have been going back and forth lately on whether we will have another child or if we will be "one and done". Obviously they are many factors other than money that are being figured into our decision but the financial benefits of only having one child have definitely come up. Has anyone been in a similar position?

·
Registered
984 Posts
We haev 2. After my oldest they really didn't think I should have another baby. I learned to live with it. Then the " I want another baby " song kicked in to my brain and would.not.go.away. I went to the dr. and we talked about it alot. I had a heart problem that made carrying hard for me. He said we will figure this out but you have to know you will spend alot of time on bedrest. He was right. I did. It was worth it. I had my tubes tied the same time they did my c section. Seven years later I had my heart problem surgically corrected and wished my tubed weren't tied as I would have loved another. As long as you can provide for your children I think they are so worth the money spent on raising them.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I have one of my own and hubs has 3... I really wish now I had another biological child so she wouldn't be alone.... I am her only biologocal tie she has... grandparents are gone....

frugality is a wonderful thing but it should not affect your family size u know when it is right.....or not God Bless u

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes. DH and I are childless, in part because of financial concerns. It's not the only reason, but it's a big one.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We have two and no $ didnt play into the decision. We were young when we had our kids. All of our friends were young. We just thought everyone our age was broker than broke and working several jobs and living on nothing but love and dreams. Believe it or not we actually look back fondly on that time because we really learned how to pull together as a team.

Now if we had waited 10 more years to start having kids we might have considered finances but at the age we had our kids it wasnt even in the cards yet. We were honestly having fun with our kids, each other and learning how to be responsible grownups.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, and no. Not the quantity of children, but the spacing. Our kids are 4-5 years apart. This has helped us space out some of the costs of various things. They are still expensive, but it has worked well for us. We are able to pass things down- never needed tons of equipment with only one little kid at a time, etc. I would love to have more kids, but have challenging pregnancies. Otherwise, even though financially we probably shouldn't, I would have one more- maybe even two. Your daughter is young. Don't permanently close doors, but take some time to think about it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
we have 5 being frugal in other areas is what lets us " afford " a larger family including private schooling .

we give up alot of stuff others may consider the norm and be upset not to have for themselves

- but its our choice we dont feel like we have had less of a life without fancy vacations each year or couple weekends away .

·
Registered
489 Posts
Absolutely. One and done for us, for a variety of reasons, including finances. We want to be in the best position possible to meet the changing needs of our family/child, and maintain our desired lifestyle (ample opportunities for education, travel, professional development, etc). We also have strong opinions on how we want our child to be raised (minimal exposure to daycare), managing family size and finances allows us greater freedom/flexibility in our approach to parenting.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
In some respects I guess the answer is yes. We have 2 kids. I probably would have had another but I know financially 2 kids is a good fit for us. I want to be able to afford activities, travel, education, etc... and any more children would put a strain on us.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We have 4 kids and are thinking about a 5th. Being frugal has enabled us to have a wonderful life with them. I guess it depends on what type of lifestyle you want to have. My best friend loves to travel so she doesn't have kids. I love being with my kids and using frugal tricks to help me give them the best life I can. We each have to choose what will make us happy.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We wanted to be in the "one and done" class. We oopsed and it it turned out to be a huge "oops" because it was twins. We love them to bits though.

G

·
Yes, although it wasn't the largest factor - for us the largest factor is that our son has autism, and it took us a long time to come to terms with that and it's a struggle that made us think twice about any more children. However, #2 is due in May.

From a financial standpoint, we don't feel that we can provide for more than 2 children to the degree of providing that we want to. I know that a lot of people feel that having children can be done cheaply, just breastfeed, cloth diaper, and get all your clothes hand me downs - but we spend a lot of money on our children. And it's not about buying name brand clothes or the latest stroller. It's about signing up for swimming lessons, or therapy sessions that insurance won't cover. It's so when DS takes an interest in space we can afford a telescope to encourage him. It's about being able to buy the organic granola bars and set aside money for his college fund. I often find that you spend your money on things that matter most to you - and to me, one of them is my children.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yes and no. I wanted more kids, but we decided 3 would be best for our family. We were actually more concerned about having enough time for the kids if we had more, but with dh being a teacher money definitely factored into us deciding 3 was enough.

Except then we had a surprise 4th. And yes it does add to the expense, but not tremendously. You can spend as much or as little as you want on your children - it is up to you.

I find that activities are the biggest expense we have. But that is our choice. I want my kids to experience different things, I want them to be active and get opportunities that I never had. But I also wanted them to be a part of a large (ish) family.

Telephus - we have a child with autism too and the best thing that ever happened to him is that we had that 4th kid. And he really needs to be in outside activities to gain the social skills that the other kids pick up naturally. In the beginning his costs were greater than the other kids, but as he has gotten older they have lessened. I find it all evens out in the end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a boy and girl which is nice. Not only can I not afford more children, I don't think my body could handle any more pregnancies. My boyfriend had a vasectomy 16 yrs ago or so which definitely rules out the possibility of more kids anyway.

G

·
my4littlebuffalos - that was actually one of the reasons we decided to go for kid #2. I think it will be good for our son to be a big brother and have a sibling.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I grew up my sister was 9 years younger than me. When I had kids I said that there was no way my kids were going to be only kids or have a big age gap because I knew what it was like and I was miserable.
My kids are 2years and 4months apart. When they were real little it was hard! I had two in diapers and I had post partum depression. But, now that they are older (daughter is 6 son is 4) I would not trade it for anything! They are so bonded! My stepdaughter is 17 and she loves the little ones and they worship her. However its just not the same bond as my littles. They are like twins. They fight but they couldn't live without each other! They used to share a room and they still (a year later) sneak into each others bed lol They are the best of friends and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I am actually jealous because thier mama and daddy are still happily married (my parents are divorced) and they have an awesome sibling relationship with each other. My kids are so blessed! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts