Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we all have learned wonderful tips thruout these boards that we have implimented into our own lives (sometimes obsessively....i'm not naming any names...ok....'ME')....

anyway..... you get going full blown and a little extreme at times and then you find yourself not doing certain things that you were being utterly compulsive about in the beginning....

what particular ideas or rituals did you go gung-ho for in the beginning and now are catching yourself easing up a bit....? (and KNOW that it's time to reign it in)..!!!

me:

--being too lazy to carry the water from the dehumidifier back upstairs to save to pour into the back of the toilet tank....(been dumping it about 50% of the time down the downstairs drain)....

--not catching the water from the upper faucet til it turns warm and saving it for the tank also (in my defense it was summer and i liked the water a little cooler so it did not run as much)....but i still wasted.....

--letting some of the tomatoes go bad (even after i picked them and didn't get them 'processed' in time).....

--driving more than i should be....took up walking at the local park but have been driving there when i could have just been walking there...(once again in my defense i was making the rounds at the local groceries grabbing the goodies being clearanced).....i should have been riding my moped more all summer....no excuse after all...

--blowing off the town-wide garage sale coz i was being too lazy to set it all up.... (i did however already have 2 this year) so it will be onto next year i go.....

while all in all these aren't major catastrophes they are an indication that i need to 'shape-up'....... and i am sure there are plenty more that just aren't coming to mind at the moment..... i'm sure there will be more to add......

am i the only guilty one here ??????:dis:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'll join in on the admission of guilt. I've been really bad lately about things and a lot of it is from being both sick and just stressed out about a lot of other things. It's really hard to be frugal when you have so much going on.

I find that I'm putting effort into other things and sticking with those more than I was with the other stuff. I'm slowly incorporating what I was doing back into my routine, but I realized that I was just putting too much on myself to improve my way of life way too fast.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have been horrible all summer. We lost our apt and moved into my dads basement for 2 1/2 months and that entire time we ate out. I'm doing much better now that it's getting cold but compared to last year, I'm just lazy. I'm glad others are guilty too!

Reactions: NewLeaf and QM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Money is getting SO tight that I am constantly looking for ways to cut water, gasoline, natural gas, and electricity consumption. I think I am driving my hubby crazy! I have a list of things for him to do this weekend. I have been to the hardware store and purchased pvc and tubing to route the A/C water to the flowerbeds, weatherstripping for the doors, new door plate (under the front door), window film, take window unit out of the window in my office for the winter, etc.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I splurge on a Ravens or CAPS shirt here and there. I also pay quite a bit for my running shoes. I wear them to work everyday, even with kakis/black/navy pants because working with ADHD/ODD/ED kids all day is tiring. My arches and calves will cramp terribly if I don't wear super supportive shoes. No matter how many bananas I eat!

Reactions: NewLeaf and QM

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We have been eating out more. I went through the bank statement and noticed $120 went out just eating out. At least $130 more on store runs becuase i was to lazy to cook what i had.. So got back on track this last week.

·
19,119 Posts
Great thread - you are not alone!!

I am just getting back to keeping track of every penny we spend starting 10/1

Need to get a better handle on my bill paying too.

RavenManiac - shoes are something I invest (not splurge) on too. Running after preschoolers takes a toll on the best of us. I think you are very wise to be able to move and do your job effectively without causing harm and pain to your body!!

Mahalo for bringing this up SVS - I know I needed this refresher reminder!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
We got in the habit eating out because we were moving.
Now it is time buckle down and eat at home. I also missed some good sales.

Reactions: QM

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Ugh! I've slipped so much in the past year it's disgusting.

My two biggest are:
1. not menu planning then panicking and getting take out, and
2. being too lazy to go to store myself and asking my husband to stop on his way home even though I know he will never, ever, ever, just get what the list says.

It's all the little things, too. I need to go super hardcore frugal for a while to snap out of it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I too have been eating out more: picking up something at lunch or on the way home. Granted I am trying to shed a few pounds so a salad made by someone else seems to be what I get. But I need to plan a little better and make my own salads!!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am guilty of turning the heat up early. I am having a difficult time this year getting use to the cold. So the heat has been on and I am enjoying it, not feeling guilty. :p

I too am guilty of letting some produce go to waste this year from the garden. Before I won my dehydrator, I gave away alot and we ate alot but I could have spent some time freezing some of it and I didn't. No excuse. Will be better next year.

DH has been really bad with wasting electricity so now that it is dark at 7pm, I have to keep nagging him to turn off the lights when he leaves the room....just need time to adjust the new dark evenings I guess.

So yep, I am guilty too SS! :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
"My arches and calves will cramp terribly if I don't wear super supportive shoes. No matter how many bananas I eat!"

Ravenmaniac, almonds help too and are easier to carry about. Just a small handful per day, and it takes about 2 weeks to feel the effect. It's what the midwife advised when I was pregnant.

Reactions: Lora88 and QM

·
Registered
633 Posts
For me it's been not hanging the laundry to dry. We had a really wet spring and summer here and with me working full time during that time we just dried the laundry in the dryer. Even now I'm having a hard time getting back to hanging it up. I've been really busy deep cleaning the house and it's just easier to throw it in the dryer!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with using the dryer. It has been a rainy summer here and I have had to use the dryer more than I cared to. I also didn't use much from my garden since the rain and cold weather and planting for a second time I just lost interest. That has never happened. As I am typing it is pouring down rain and the winds have come up. I guess laundry will get done tomorrow when the weather is suppose to be a little better.

Monner:thunder::rain:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I also agree with using the dryer. I was just plan lazy and it rained alot this summer. And eating out alot. But that will change starting now.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This summer was pretty bad for me as well for keeping frugal. Had two GSs born this year. Both to first time moms so I was out buying stuff for the little guys. Those joyful events triggered an influx of out of town visitors. Between putting them up at our place and the entertainment for them we just blew it. Neither GS was covered by insurance post-delivery so we ran down our emergancy fund.
This month though we are pourring it on full steam to make up all that lost ground. Only the 7th but we are still right on track. I will count that as a victory - lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I slipped ALOT this summer on my lunches - ate WAY too many of them out instead of packing my own. Reigning that in now & luckily, DH is on board!
I also let some of my garden produce go to waste - didn't mean to, just didn't eat it fast enough - SEE! I should've been taking it for lunch!
And the worst part is - I've been struggling to not give in to retail therapy. :( Splurged a little on DD last month & am trying not to give into my "wants" right now. It's hard, we are having a good few months & that is when I struggle the most. Trying to buckle down now, to stay strong!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm throwing my best friend a baby shower this Saturday and went waaay overboard. also, a woman at work is having triplets so I had to buy a shower gift this month for her shower as well. definitely busted my budget (my own fault).

also let produce go bad because I didn't use it soon enough. again my own fault and no excuse.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts