Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the side of our house a few days ago I noticed this "nest" made of mud... I watched it and a couple of birds flew in it and added more mud and flew away. I looked them up online since I had never seen or heard a bird like this. They are Cliff Swallows. I thought it was cool to have them. THey only eat bugs and they make this cool sound.
WELL.... I now have over 50 of these buggers swooping my head when I go outside and pooping all over everything.
At first I thought it would be neat to watch the pair nest and such... but 50 birds equals 25 nests on the side of my house right above Tyler's sandbox and playhouse. Our picnic table is unusable. And they are very aggressive and fly really close to your head.
I don't know what to do. I want to hose the nests down. Now Dave read up on them and says that they're endangered??

Any ideas?? Are they just going to come back if I knock the nests down?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
They can definitely be a pain and are very aggressive.

We use to take our water hose and spray the nests with the water. The nests just fall off and they usually won't come back if you keep doing it.

Just yesterday, the fireman from our small town were hosing down the nests that the swallows had built on the side of the old town hall.

If they only built one or two nests, it would be different but when they build more than a couple, they actually become quite a nuisance.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes... the article I read online says they nest in groups of several hundred on average and can get up in the thousands. :eek:
I think we will hose them today... if Dave won't then I will. I want to enjoy my yard.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We had one nest onvtop of our front door a few years ago. They were persistant(sp?) so you might have to keep hosing them down for a few weeks like we did, but they finally didn't come back and it has been fine ever since.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hosed them all down earlier and they are starting another set now. I will be hosing them for awhile I think. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think if you can find a plastic owl to put in your yard it may help keep them away.:toothy: On the other hand it may also keep away other birds that you may like too.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a whirlygig owl right beside my bird feeder... they ain't afraid of it one bit. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts