Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some sushi rice and seaweed yesterday from World Market. I'm gonna try to make some sushi, though just by using veggies and maybe some canned salmon. Have you ever tried making any? How did it turn out? Was it necessary to use a bamboo mat to get the roll all nice looking? :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have not made it, but have often watched the sushi chefs. If you are going to put the rice on the outside in the traditional manner you will definitely need the bamboo or something to keep the rice from just sticking to your hands as you roll it.

Good luck, this sounds good! :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We make it all the time. I haven't tried to make it without the mat though. When we make it, we normally do some with cooked shrimp and imitation crab (for the kids) or strickly advocado, carrot and cucumber. The mat helps you to squeeze it and keep it tight. We shop at Asian food stores all the time so our mats only cost about 1.50.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've never tried sushi! What does it taste like?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You definately need a bamboo roller. You can pick one up for a few bucks at an Asian grocery store-Chinese or Korean (FYI-you can get sushi rice and seaweed a lot cheaper here too).

Here's how I make mine:

-Thinly( think wooden chopstick size) sliced carrot
-thinly sliced spam or hot dog
Cook these in oil until tender

- thinly sliced cucumber
-Make a spring onion omelet (open-faced) and slice that thinly too
-cooked spinach, wrung out

I then put seaweed on the bamboo roller. Put rice on top of that and lightly smoosh that flat. I then add a few of each of the above ingredient. Dab water along the seaweed edges to seal the seams. Then Roll the mat slowly and tightly. When it's all rolled, I lightly glaze the roll with sesame oil.

The nice thing about sushi is you can pretty much put whatever you have on hand in it.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've never tried to eat or even make sushi, how does it taste? Inquiring minds wanna know, lol :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow guys, thanks for the tips! :) And Missy, I hadn't even noticed that thread, gotta read it through.

I gotta look around for an Asian grocery store, might be a bit hard to find close by but I know there is Chinatown in DC so that might be a good place to check out.

Sushi tastes yummy. :D Though I'm not adventurous enough to try the really "weird" stuff but like the basics. We live about 1/4mi away from a sushi restaurant but to save some money thought I'd try to make some instead. I think the best date me and DH ever had was my first time to a sushi boat, we sat there for hours just trying out different stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts