Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to people about frugality when they have asked me, but noone has ever come over to the frugal side.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
My sister has always been frugal, but not like now !!!!!!!
She's a Frugal Queen now !!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Hey where's my crown if I am such a queen, nope, I might be a frugal princess...you are the frugal queen!

·
27,948 Posts
I don't know if you 'd call it converting but Bil and my sis were furniture shopping & had a problem. They told the employee they would be taking their business elsewhere. They called that "doing a Jack" . My dh often takes his business elsewhere when people don't do their job right.

My sis and her hubby always say "Darlene would be proud" when they get a great bargin. And yes, I am proud when they do. :)
Sis also asks my opinion when we shop together if I think something is a good deal or not.:D
They used to buy a lot more brand name stuff and pay full price for many things. Now after trying some store brand items they find that they don't have to sacrifice taste and quality when they buy the cheaper brand.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have always shared my frugal finds and efforts with my family. However, everyone finds that they don't want to "waste the time". I would rather spend a little more time and a lot less money. But to each his own, IMHO.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I've got some frugal friends that I love to share deals with.:) I am however the most frugal of all my family members. I've tried to convert my MIL and SIL and we are slowly making progress there (baby steps), but not anything close to what they need to be doing to save any real money. SIL just can't bring herself to "sacrifice" by forgoing her daily latte (at the latte stand), all the expensive makeup and nail care products, new clothes and going out to eat almost daily. They live with MIL and FIL and don't pay a dime in rent or expenses and then complian about not having enough money to get a place of their own. UGHHH!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I grew up in a frugal family, but something happened to my sis! When I told her I will cloth diaper she showed up at my house with 2 packs of disposables to "convert" me with!

I did get a bunch of people packing their lunches when I was working. I hear they have all given that up since I left though.

I guess nothing I have done has "stuck"!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am slowly frugalizing friends right now. I have friends who swear that they are always saving money but some of them will actually call me before they leave the house to find out where to go and what to do to get deals LOL!! A couple of them get a little aggitated when I ask them "are you holding the item right now?"
"well, no."
"are you still breathing?"
"of course!"
"then you don't need it"

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
You all probably remember when I converted my friend Jen to major frugality. Jen is a single mom with FOUR kids who live son very, very little. Debbie, your SIL probably spends more on her "stuff" than the five of them live on! Jen was literally going without food to feed her babies on occasion. I got her to get food stamps and taught her how to buy frugally. I also showed her how to use coupons and how to stretch meats. She now has stamps left over at the end of most months (not much is left, but she's waaay ahead of the way she was before). Jen used to run out of food and ahve to go to the food pantry every few weeks. Now she doesn't have to any more! Every time I think of her going without food, it just makes me get all teary-eyed.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have a few friends that I share my frugal ideas with but for the most part, my friends do not have any desire to be frugal :( Most would scoff at the idea of clipping coupons and would not have a clue what a loss leader was. They are good people but just not frugal savvy :) .

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Lori~ God bless you for helping your friend Jen learn how to budget and stretch her finances! I know how your friend Jen felt, going without to feed her kids, been there done that.:( I'm so glad she has you for a friend and is now able to have food stamps left over. Encourage her to use those extras that she saved when stockpile items go on sale. That's what we did when we were on foodstamps and had extras.:)

I'm off to go distribute food commodities to some wonderful people who are just having a hard time in our community. The boys and I do this each month through Council On Ageing. Earlier this morning I learned of 2 more families that will need our services today. I pray they come down so that I can not only send them home with some food but also give them information on where to get additional help.:angel:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I have tried to convert several people but the only success has been my neighbor who I love and is taknig this with stride.She is doing a great job.I lent her my TWG and she called me and asked me if I own 3 pairs of tennis shoes,of course I knew what she was talking about and relied nope I have 4 lol(2 for yard work and and that are old lol)And then she said she won't super glue her kids shoes,told her i don't blame her I wouldn't either just for the fact I would glue my hand to the darn thing.I told her this was her most important lesson in being frugal,she said ok so its about shoes,I said no its about choosing what you can skimp on to meet your own personal expectations,if you find you went too far with someting go one step back until your comfy.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've talked to a few friends about frugality and about FLY ING...I think I'm SOOOO passionate on these subjects that I scare them off...LOL

I can't help it...when I'm passionate about something it shows.

Most reply that they don't have "time" to cut corners or coupons!

It is worth it to be able to feed my family confortably.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't try to "push" it on anyone...I simply tell my friends how much I save when I go shopping and if they want some tips or "training" to do it themselves then I am all for it.... I really need to talk to my big brother.... I am the youngest of 3 and I am also the only one with a family..both my brother and sister are single and it seems I am the only one with money left over at the end of the month...I can't figure it out with DB he somehow wastes $800 per month or more!! What is nice however...DB came over last month and was having a bit of money trouble..he had to pay me for his auto insurance (I pay it for him since he forgets and mom threw a guilt thing on me about it) and he was telling DH that he didn't have any food...DH sent him home with 10lbs bologna and some bread, bacon, and sausage. not much but hey it's better than what he had!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts