Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a coat of mine I have had for years. It has just been hanging in the closet but it is white nylon (kind of like parachute material). Well from hanging for so long it has a yellowish tinge to it. I soaked it for hours yesterday in Oxyclean and Dawn dish soap, rinsed it out good and then washed it.

It is still yellowish! Can I use Rit dye on it? Do I need to use that whitener stuff first. I would like to dye it tan, light blue or light green. Will it work??

TIA

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have dyed nylon shears before with Rit dye, they turned out fine. They did take the dye quite strongly, they turned out very vivid, I dyed ecru colored shears a cranberry color.

Good luck with your coat. :D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathy, I'm going to give it a try and let you know the results. (after I go and get the dye first! :D )

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Deed...will you please messenger me---getting ahold of you is nerve racking!!!!! Mom

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Deed, I know that Rit has a whitener that you can use also. A nurse that I work with used it regularly on her white uniforms. They were always sparkling white. I am not sure the name of it but I remember that she said it was made by Rit and she got it in the same section as the dye, it was in a box like the dyes. Good luck with your coat. :D

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Be careful to rinse extremely well, otherwise you will have my navy blue nightmare of a dyed gown, sweat and a damp night, I looked like a smurf by the end of the night.l:eek:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips ladies. Jerseygirl :yikes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts