Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfriend a bunch of people on FB?

I created a new FB page because I was tired of my family's fights. I didn't want to know or be part of the latest family feud. So my Sister sends me a bunch of her friends to friend, saying how nice they all are, but some of them are not very nice at all. In fact, some of them are major stick up their butt people who have not so nice things to say, or have rigid beliefs and if you're not in agreement you know you're going to get blasted. *sigh* I never would have friended quite a few if I had known beforehand. I must be super liberal in comparison to my Sister, because a lot of these people would never be on my friends list in RL.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it.

·
19,119 Posts
I am so lucky not to have your problem - only a few relatives on FB and I am very picky!! Wondered why you did that.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have my Sister now from my family.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have unfriended a few friends of friends. I don't think they get any notification that they've been unfriended.
You are right you don't get any notication if they unfriend you.

We had a girl from work unfriend all of us because she had a lot of issues going on in her personal life she didn't want us at work to know about. I never realized she took me off her friends until somebody at worked asked me about it. I guess they realized it. I really didn't care. Honestly I don't want to know about her person issues. So I was glad she took me off as a friend.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Unfriend them. I unfriend people if I find that I really don't care what they have to say or if I think they are just nasty. They don't get notification, and even if they did, I'd unfriend them anyway. Why waste your time on people you don't enjoy?

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have unfriended people who are not nice, or just blab constantly...or you can turn them off so their posts don't show on your feed. Most of those people have so many *friends* that they never notice who is or isn't there.

·
Super Moderator
20,715 Posts
I don't waste my time with people who annoy me. Some I unfriend, some I just turn off their feeds. The difference being those who are actual friends and not acquaintances, but whose political or religious beliefs I don't share, who sometimes go off on tangents. I turn those off for a while and turn them back on again when they've calmed down. They never know the difference.

Just because someone is the friend of a friend or relative doesn't automatically make them worthwhile. Dump them and don't look back! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just unfriended a large group of people simply because I got tired of their constant complaining about every little thing or, in one case, the literally every thirty minute update on her life. Since I've done that, it's been peaceful on the old facebook, none of the unfriended have even noticed and I can enjoy going on and corresponding with those that I enjoy spending time with.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I just didn't want to hurt my Sister's feelings, or cause her problems if her friends got their feathers ruffled by being unfriended.

I'm not ultra conservative, nor am I ultra liberal, I fall somewhere in between, but find I do not mix well with either extreme. (those that feel they have to meet every political idea that does not suit them with a waving fist. How exhausting it must be to live that way) I'm sure my some of my Sister's friends are perfectly lovely people to those that hold the same ideals as them, but I'm having a hard time swallowing it all, and I'm not fond of retaliatory posts, or hateful rhetoric.

I guess I've got some unfriending to do. *sigh* :( Or maybe blocking

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you think you need to tell your sister you have decided to simplify your life which means only having contact with a few people on Facebook. You need to remember that this is your page and you can do whatever you want with it. If other people can not handle it then they really should get a reality check. I really doubt they will even notice since your sister just grouped them together to add to your page.

I realize I sound somewhat insensitive. Then again I do not have a Facebook page.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
You are right you don't get any notication if they unfriend you.

We had a girl from work unfriend all of us because she had a lot of issues going on in her personal life she didn't want us at work to know about. I never realized she took me off her friends until somebody at worked asked me about it. I guess they realized it. I really didn't care. Honestly I don't want to know about her person issues. So I was glad she took me off as a friend.
Are you MY co-worker? I unfriended everyone I work with or who is even remotely connected to my work, for basically those reasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your sister sent you a bunch of her friends and you don't know them I'm sure they won't mind if you defriend them. I don't put people on my page anymore that I don't know it causes to much confusion. Also people that I do know that I don't want on my page just stay in the confirm page never to enter.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aww LB, now I feel bad. Gosh, maybe I'm being a b with an itch. :(

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
aww LB, now I feel bad. Gosh, maybe I'm being a b with an itch. :(
Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad. You have to do what feels right to you.

I know I b*tch a lot about political stuff on FB and I'm sure I've lost some friends over it....FB doesn't tell you who unfriended you, but you can definitely see when you've been unfriended and it doesn't take a genius to figure out who it was. I never say anything about their unfriending me and yes, some of the ones who've unfriended me are fellow FV'ers.

So back to me and FB and the political stuff...I've also been trying to temper that more with other things lately because I know that some of my friends agree with my views and others don't...in fact, one said I was a very nice person when I'm not busy being crazy...lol (He's a great guy and I'm glad we can say things like that and still be friends.) I also don't agree with some of my friends' views but I read what they have to say and sometimes it makes me think and that's not a bad thing. And sometimes even I find the political stuff draining and that's when I know it's time to change my focus toward other things.

The way I look at it, FB is just an outlet where I say what's on my mind...something I can't always do in other forums...sometimes the things I have to say may be crazy, stupid, overly political, risque, raunchy, funny, silly....I'm sure any of those would apply to me at any given time. Most of us are all of those things at one time or another.

And I guess I feel one of the biggest problems with our world today is that people can be so intolerant of what others think or say. It's OK to have differences of opinion--there's no requirement that we all march in lockstep. I've had plenty of occasions where I've just said "let's agree to disagree" on some point and changed the subject. I'll never be the most popular person, my political incorrectness may not set well with the uber-judgmental set, but I'm okay with that and I know I'm a good person even when others may think otherwise. :)

I think you're a good person too, PPB, and I'm really sorry if anything I said made you feel bad...definitely not my intent, ever. :hugz:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.