Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried painting floors? I know that many say you can paint right on the sub-flooring but I am wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.
I don't have the money right now to replace the flooring, but it is in need of something. The stuff is peeling and is down to the sub-floor in places. I was wonder if anyone had even tried the floor painting and how it worked out for them?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
What is the type of current flooring?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am peeling it down to the sub-floor. Its like particle board.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Probably OSB - Oriented strand board. Does it look like a whole lot of wood chips glued together?

I would not try to paint that. For the short term, if you need some kind of covering on it, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a couple boxes of the cheapest sticky tiles you can find. (Vinyl floor tiles, 1 foot square, available for about $0.50 per square foot or less) and cover the floor with that.

Later, when you can put something nicer down, they come up pretty easily.

Reactions: Patty A

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am with Greebo. Painting the OSB is not a really good fix. I would get the cheap vinyl floor tiles for now. And I did a similar repair a couple of years ago in my dining room after I pulled up the crappy orange shag carpet! You will need to put a coat or 2 of sealant on the OSB subfloor. Otherwise the chemicals from it will interact with the vinyl tiles and they will not stick. It comes in a gallon jug like bleach, and you roll it on the subfloor to prep it. Has consistency of milk. Ask about it Lowes or Home Depot. Did not cost alot as I recall. Then I got the tiles that were about 39 cents a s.f. and put them on after a couple coats of the sealant. It lasted a couple of years with the cheap tiles and it looked better than what was there before!

Then last year, since I figured I would be living in my house for a couple more years, I got the higher end tiles and put them over the cheap tile floor. They adhered much better and wear well. Make sure you let the floor tiles acclimate to your house for a day or 2. They have quite a selection of patterns too. It is a pretty economical fix to spruce up a floor.

Reactions: Patty A

·
Registered
156 Posts
My bedroom floor is painted and I love it. It is hardwood planks though. I think the stuff you have would not do well painted.
I actually want to pull up all my carpeting and paint all of my floors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts